Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
May 30, 2007
Played around with an iPad today at my local BB. I walked out without one but it's still sitting in the back of my mind. I haven't purchased a computer yet, and I don't know if I ever will. I do 80% of everything I need to do on my Mobile and email the rest for when I can get to the local public library or university library. Northeastern Ohio has an excellent system that I take complete advantage of and, quite frankly, everyone should be so lucky. It does tend to get a tad old when you run into holidays and long lines.

I'm really tempted though. I like the size. Anyone else have an iPad and nothing else?

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
you may run into problems there, as the iPad needs a computer to setup initially and if you want to copy songs/documents etc over to it you need a computer.

i guess the apple store could set it up initially for you though :)

provided you get a wall charger i think you'd be fine.

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
you may run into problems there, as the iPad needs a computer to setup initially and if you want to copy songs/documents etc over to it you need a computer.

i guess the apple store could set it up initially for you though :)

provided you get a wall charger i think you'd be fine.

I would think an Apple Store setting it all up initially would work ok, but as stated in the first sentence, you cannot copy directly to it....you can however email docs to yourself from another PC and download your content from iTunes store.

It is definitely do-able....but unfortunately very limiting right now due to lack of USB ports, you cannot connect other devices to it, or print from it yet....

Interestingly enough though, I have been finding myself using it MORE than my Laptop though.

The Boat Guy

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2010
United Kingdom
I bought my iPad whilst away for work for a week, and then gut stuck away from home for another week, and all worked fine without a computer to sync with. The folks at the apple store in Albuquerque did the first connection in store to get it going and it was all good from there. I used free wifi or hotel wifi and my mobile me account for email. Skype for phone calls, and the iWork apps for simple-ish documents. You'd nee a router at home if you were going to use it there, and borrow a computer to set it up, but apart from that, I'd say go for it. If you haven't got a computer now what functionality are you going to miss?

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Played around with an iPad today at my local BB. I walked out without one but it's still sitting in the back of my mind. I haven't purchased a computer yet, and I don't know if I ever will. I do 80% of everything I need to do on my Mobile and email the rest for when I can get to the local public library or university library. Northeastern Ohio has an excellent system that I take complete advantage of and, quite frankly, everyone should be so lucky. It does tend to get a tad old when you run into holidays and long lines.

I'm really tempted though. I like the size. Anyone else have an iPad and nothing else?
If you currently do 80% of everything you need to do on your Mobile, then expect to be able to do 80% of everything you need to do on the iPad. Keep in mind that it might not be the SAME 80%. (there are somethings that the iPad can do that your Mobile can't, and visa versa)

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
I would think an Apple Store setting it all up initially would work ok, but as stated in the first sentence, you cannot copy directly to it....you can however email docs to yourself from another PC and download your content from iTunes store.

It is definitely do-able....but unfortunately very limiting right now due to lack of USB ports, you cannot connect other devices to it, or print from it yet....

Interestingly enough though, I have been finding myself using it MORE than my Laptop though.
MORE then your laptop? really? very interesting. my poor MBP will hate me ;)

as for syncing, i was more referring to songs/music/games etc - without a computer the iPad virtually becomes a giant web browser. haha

The iPad comes with a wall charger.
ahh right. good to know :D i was worried about that

Cancelled
Original poster
May 30, 2007
I bought my iPad whilst away for work for a week, and then gut stuck away from home for another week, and all worked fine without a computer to sync with. The folks at the apple store in Albuquerque did the first connection in store to get it going and it was all good from there. I used free wifi or hotel wifi and my mobile me account for email. Skype for phone calls, and the iWork apps for simple-ish documents. You'd nee a router at home if you were going to use it there, and borrow a computer to set it up, but apart from that, I'd say go for it. If you haven't got a computer now what functionality are you going to miss?

I live in an apartment, surrounded by apartment's, all with free Wi-Fi. So I have that one covered. When I had my iPhones I did my initial update on the university Mac's and ran from there. I store everything in Gmail/Dropbox. It's funny, I actually have four DVDs of iTunes backups sitting and collecting dust. I used to use my brothers computer to hold all of my stuff. I guess I've just been doing this for so long it's second nature. Most people think I'm insane. The most common response is: "just buy a cheap netbook or laptop." My response is always: Why waste the money? Not to mention it creates a sort of tech free zone at the sh@#box. No clutter and distraction of a computer .

Very tempting, I tell you. When do you think we'll see R2? Fall?

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
as for syncing, i was more referring to songs/music/games etc - without a computer the iPad virtually becomes a giant web browser. haha

Well, if he's already living without a computer, this probably isn't an issue as he currently doesn't have anything to sync :). As long as he has access to wifi, he can download music/video/games of any size right to the iPad from iTunes (at a cost, of course).

As previously mentioned, as long as you can get to an Apple store for the purchase, should work fine for your situation--don't think BB will do an initial setup for you. And who knows, Apple may be willing to help you update to 4.0 when the time comes.

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
Well, if he's already living without a computer, this probably isn't an issue as he currently doesn't have anything to sync :). As long as he has access to wifi, he can download music/video/games of any size right to the iPad from iTunes (at a cost, of course).

As previously mentioned, as long as you can get to an Apple store for the purchase, should work fine for your situation--don't think BB will do an initial setup for you. And who knows, Apple may be willing to help you update to 4.0 when the time comes.

I started using it as it was intended...a go between a Laptop and Phone...

With instant on, nice large screen, I really only use the Laptop when I NEED it. That is when I need to backup my Blackberry and iPad, print something off, or occasionally visit flash intensive sites...

I'll tell you what....if Apple gets these suckers to print wirelessly, and HTML5 hit's as big as Apple says it will...this may very well be the very quick future of computing.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom

all great points :D

updating to 4.0 would be harder, as you would need an iTunes account - im sure they would let you use one of their computers (authorise then deauthorise afterward of course).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.