Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zach-coleman

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 10, 2022
I and a family member are going to do a hand-me-down chain where I get a 15, and give them my 13 to replace their 11. The only problem is they’re going to be on a trip the day the 15 comes out and their 11 is too unreliable for them to want to take it. We are talking about swapping phones prior to that, so I will downgrade to their 11 for the week before picking up the 15 and they take the 13. Will this cause any issues with my backups or anything else unforeseen?

The one headache I can predict is I converted my sim to eSIM to get it out of the way a few months ago.

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I and a family member are going to do a hand-me-down chain where I get a 15, and give them my 13 to replace their 11. The only problem is they’re going to be on a trip the day the 15 comes out and their 11 is too unreliable for them to want to take it. We are talking about swapping phones prior to that, so I will downgrade to their 11 for the week before picking up the 15 and they take the 13. Will this cause any issues with my backups or anything else unforeseen?

The one headache I can predict is I converted my sim to eSIM to get it out of the way a few months ago.
Both devices need to be on the same version of iOS or approximately the same (i.e, both versions on iOS 15.x, 16.x). If the phones are off by more than one version then you will be unable to restore a backup to an earlier version. For instance, you cannot restore an iOS 16 backup to a device running iOS 15. You CAN restore an iOS 15 back up to a device running iOS 16 though.

Hope that helps.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
As stated above, restoring backup is a main concern, since backup is only backwards compatible (restore older version of iOS backup to newer version works, but not vice versa).
Other issues could be very minor depending on the hardware differences, but usually should Not impact short term usage.

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
The one headache I can predict is I converted my sim to eSIM to get it out of the way a few months ago
If your carrier allows eSIM transfer than its straight forward, otherwise, you’ll need to involve your carriers customer support.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.