Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chris 11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2021
On my mid 2011 iMac, I have just replaced my internal platter HDD with a Samsung EVO 960 SSD. The HDD file system was Mac OS Extended Journal. I then restored my HDD to my new SSD and all works well. The file system on the SSD is also MacOS Extended Journal. I would like to convert the SSD to APFS. Has anyone who had done a similar thing, encountered any issues by converting to APFS.

I have two external platter HDDs being used to back up to - one via Time Machine, the other via Carbon Copy Cloner. Both of these drives are formatted as Mac OS Extended Journal.

Many thanks for any advice and assistance that anyone can offer.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Internal SSD - with High Sierra - and now you want to convert the drive to APFS?
That's easy.
Just reinstall your system - your best choice would be to boot to a High Sierra USB installer.
Reinstall macOS - and that will automatically change your SSD to APFS, and won't change the other apps and files that you might have on your drive.

Chris 11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2021
Internal SSD - with High Sierra - and now you want to convert the drive to APFS?
That's easy.
Just reinstall your system - your best choice would be to boot to a High Sierra USB installer.
Reinstall macOS - and that will automatically change your SSD to APFS, and won't change the other apps and files that you might have on your drive.
Many thanks for your assistance, DeltaMac - very much appreciated ?. Have you experienced any issues in APFS?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.