Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Samurai Shampoo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2017
Hello,

are there any known issues or problems to be aware of when buying a 2022 MacBook Air M2?

Thanks in advance.

VaruLV

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2019
Poor display quality control, search for M2 Air display uniformity/"dirty" issues and you will see.
Also, wavy bottom plate towards the back, while only cosmetical issue, unlike display issue, its still odd to have one on premium-ish machine.

harleymhs

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2009
Tried 2 .. Screens was horrible! Eye strain etc. Went to a 2021 MBP 14 got a great deal refurb from Apple! No issues with this screen thats for sure!

neo_cs193p

macrumors regular
May 17, 2016
Tried 2 .. Screens was horrible! Eye strain etc. Went to a 2021 MBP 14 got a great deal refurb from Apple! No issues with this screen thats for sure!
I would agree there seems to be a high number of M2 Air screens with uneven lighting, while the MBP seems much better from this point of view.

But on the eye strain front, my experience is quite opposite. I had a lot of eye strain with the 16" M1p MBP, but my M2 Air display is much more comfortable for my eyes, although I use it in the 2x scaling setting (looks like 1280x832). I can work on its display all day long, whereas after a few minutes with the MBP, I would need to take a long break or want to not use it again, with sore dry eyes.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
I have had the M2 MBA since launch, 16GB Ram and 1TB SSD. So far, not been a single issue. As someone who changed regularly back in the Intel days, this one is a keeper.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
In general all Apple devices and products are not being built to a standard previously expected. It seems quality control is left to the consumer for the factory to produce as many devices as possible as cheaply as possible.

With that being said for some years now I have noticed that BTO models can have more quality control issues than preconfigured retail units.

I would inspect any new Apple devices carefully for a week. Use them heavily for that first week. Inspect every part of the device. If you notice anything that bothers you, return it. Order another one when you can if you wish and do the same inspection process. You may have to do this a few times until you get the perfect one.

On the M2 MBA the bottom plate can be wavy or not fitted correctly. The screen can have more than normal amount of backlight bleed or poor screen brightness uniformity and some units have odd color banding.

However I think the majority of units are fine. The MBP M2 also have build quality issues like the vents being so sharp they can almost cut you. Speakers with popping sounds, etc.

I have heard of iPhone 14 pro models having build quality issues as well. So I think it is product wide.

Just inspect carefully and replace don't repair within that first two weeks.

mlody

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City
Some people experienced squeaky display hinge, including myself. I was able to fix it be re-screwing things back togethers, others required a new display assemblies.

mbp17forever

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2021
Mine (starlight 8/256) also has wavy bottom plate towards the back. When I first noticed it (many weeks after purchase) it was annoying but then I found out that it’s a common issue so I don’t care anymore. I also really try to not see the problem that others mention regarding the screen haha

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.