Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Homy

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
What do you mean by "multi GPU aware"? Do you mean like 2 Vega II cards in Mac Pro? All other Macs have 1 iGPU or dGPU.

Mac games with built-in benchmarking I know of are:

- A Total War Saga: Troy
- Batman: Arkham City
- Borderlands 3
- Company of Heroes 2
- Deus Ex MKD
- Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor
- Rise of the Tomb Raider
- Shadow of the Tomb Raider
- Thief
- Tomb Raider
- War Thunder

Last edited:
Reactions: Flint Ironstag

Homy

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
Capable of utilizing more than one GPU in order to increase performance.

You still don't explain what you mean by "one GPU". I gave you an example. Mac Pro is the only Mac that can have two GPU cards like Vega II. All other Macs have one GPU. So do you have a Mac Pro or are you talking about GPU cores, like M1 which has 8 GPU cores?

Since Mac Pro is the only Mac with "multiple GPUs" the answer is yes. Many games, if not all, can take advantage of Vega II Duo.

If you're talking about an eGPU connected to a Mac the answer is no. You can't use both the eGPU and the internal GPU at the same time.

Last edited:

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
To the original question: not that I know of. Most games don’t even support HiDPI abs wide colors and you are asking for multi-GPU support :)

You still don't explain what you mean by "one GPU". I gave you an example. Mac Pro is the only Mac that can have two GPU cards like Vega VII. All other Macs have one GPU. So do you have a Mac Pro or are you talking about GPU cores, like M1 which has 8 GPU cores?

Since Mac Pro is the only Mac with "multiple GPUs" the answer is yes. Many games, if not all, can take advantage of Vega VII Duo.

If you're talking about an eGPU connected to a Mac the answer is no. You can't use both the eGPU and the internal GPU at the same time.

Some Mac laptops have two GPUs: the iGPU abs the dGPU. And you can definitely use them at the same time. Add an eGPU - now you can use three GPUs at the same time.

Homy

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
To the original question: not that I know of. Most games don’t even support HiDPI abs wide colors and you are asking for multi-GPU support :)

Some Mac laptops have two GPUs: the iGPU abs the dGPU. And you can definitely use them at the same time. Add an eGPU - now you can use three GPUs at the same time.

So Macs don't have something similar to Nvidia's SLI? I know that in other apps than games having two graphics cards like W5700X or Vega II Duo in Mac Pro increases the performance. I didn't find any gaming benchmarks and misread this X-plane benchmark. Thought it was Vega II vs Vega II Duo.

As for the multiple GPUs in the same Mac I now that many Macs like MBP can have Intel iGPU and AMD dGPU and the system can switch between to save power but in games they don't use both. If you play a heavy game like Borderlands or Metro the games uses the dGPU. It don't use the iGPU to increase the frame rate. The same goes for dGPU. When you connect it to your Mac you choose which GPU you want to use. To play a heavy game you choose obviously the dGPU and the game won't use any other GPU. Or am I missing something? As far as I know Macs can switch between their GPUs but not use them at the same time in games to boost performance.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
So Macs don't have something similar to Nvidia's SLI? I know that in other apps than games having two graphics cards like W5700X or Vega II Duo in Mac Pro increases the performance. I didn't find any gaming benchmarks and misread this X-plane benchmark. Thought it was Vega II vs Vega II Duo.

You can do this kind of stuff in Metal but you’ll have to do it explicitly.

As for the multiple GPUs in the same Mac I now that many Macs like MBP can have Intel iGPU and AMD dGPU and the system can switch between to save power but in games they don't use both. If you play a heavy game like Borderlands or Metro the games uses the dGPU. It don't use the iGPU to increase the frame rate. The same goes for dGPU. When you connect it to your Mac you choose which GPU you want to use. To play a heavy game you choose obviously the dGPU and the game won't use any other GPU. Or am I missing something? As far as I know Macs can switch between their GPUs but not use them at the same time in games to boost performance.

You can use whatever GPU you want. The API allows you to use all GPUs simultaneously. Do games do it? No. Is it a good idea? In most cases, no. But you can do it if you are so inclined.

Homy

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
You can use whatever GPU you want. The API allows you to use all GPUs simultaneously. Do games do it? No. Is it a good idea? In most cases, no. But you can do it if you are so inclined.

Okay, so you were speaking about the technical possibility. Then I was right about the fact that games (and other apps) don't do it in reality (for example using both iGPU, dGPU or eGPU at the same time).

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
mGPU, for gaming, hasn‘t been a thing in a while. Offline renderers (like Blender) should use all available GPUs when outputting a scene. Most of the time they don’t bother using iGPU+dGPU because the speed up isn’t worth it. They should use dGPU+dGPU though.

Reactions: Homy

1madman1

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2013
Richmond, BC, Canada
I recall Civilization V could use additional GPUs via OpenCL for AI speed improvement. I think it was even an advertised feature for the dual GPU Mac Pros. That wouldn't do anything for frame rate though.

Waaaaay back in the day when Mac gaming was still actually a viable thing I recall trying SLI Voodoo 2s in my beige G3.

Last edited:
Reactions: Homy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.