Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Worlrl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 22, 2020
I had iphone 8 for four years and switched recently to a used xs.
I really never understood howuch I love the size and home button of the 8.
Is there any news about the 2022 iphone SE?
The 2020 feel not so good deal right now

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
I had iphone 8 for four years and switched recently to a used xs.
I really never understood howuch I love the size and home button of the 8.
Is there any news about the 2022 iphone SE?
The 2020 feel not so good deal right now
The way I see it, the only reason why Apple released the iPhone SE models was to get rid of the remaining parts of older iPhone models, in line with Tim Cook's approach of streamlining the supply chain. I do not see Apple continuing to manufacture these old form factors after the stock is gone.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
According to rumours, the next SE will be more of an iterative update with the SE 2020 model being updated to 5G and updated processor (A15?). This will be their cheapest 5G iphone for £399. They will have to increase the battery slightly though, but as we have seen with the Iphone 13's on the A15 chip, they have improved battery life over the 12 models, so this might alleviate the issue slightly.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
According to rumours, the next SE will be more of an iterative update with the SE 2020 model being updated to 5G and updated processor (A15?). This will be their cheapest 5G iphone for £399. They will have to increase the battery slightly though, but as we have seen with the Iphone 13's on the A15 chip, they have improved battery life over the 12 models, so this might alleviate the issue slightly.
The 2020 SE/8 only has like 1800mAh battery. That's ridiculously low. I don't think Apple can pack in a significantly larger battery unless they redesign the form factor.

I hope the 12 mini/13 mini design will be used for the next SE. Apple can cut cost by using just one camera module and employing TouchID with punch-hole screen instead of FaceID, but at least that form factor can house decent battery for 5G. I wouldn't even mind if Apple cut cost further by using plastic back so the price can remain low. But if Apple kept the same iPhone 8 form factor, it's a hard pass as the battery won't be any larger.

Reactions: snipr125

RRC

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2020

I think the improved battery life on the 13’s is mostly due to an increase in capacity, more than the A15 chip which is basically a tweaked A14.

SE needs to be improved massively if it’s going to stay at the same price point, as it’s simply not currently a phone I could recommend to most people.

lkalliance

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2015
I've got a 2020 SE and I think it's great...except for the battery life. That's not much of a problem for me, as I work from home and whether it's here or in my car I'm never far from being able to charge, so I've been well served by it at a reasonable price.

As others have pointed out, I don't think the raison d'etre of the SE is to fulfill a specific set of features: it's as capable a phone as they could make while streamlining as much as they could to fit a price point. That must mean that they could really cheaply produce the 8 chassis, the 8 camera, the A13 and the Touch ID hardware (and before that with the 5S and A9, etc.).

I think the SE is a great idea, actually, and I'm really glad Apple does it. I've owned both generations now, and between the two I'm now in for about, what, $800-$900 for the two including Apple Care and a battery replacement, approaching six years combined use.

(Actually more than six years, as my original 2016 SE is now being used by my stepson. Approaching six years in the field!)

I do wonder when the next SE will come out, and what chassis and camera it will have. The first two models have each been the throwback "small phone"...but I do think that's coincidence. We really only have two models to go on. Will a four-year cycle be standard? Will the 8 body remain, or will it be something else? In both cases so far, they gave it a body that they were already producing. Perhaps within a couple of years, that's the 12? Or even the 11?

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
I've got a 2020 SE and I think it's great...except for the battery life. That's not much of a problem for me, as I work from home and whether it's here or in my car I'm never far from being able to charge, so I've been well served by it at a reasonable price.

As others have pointed out, I don't think the raison d'etre of the SE is to fulfill a specific set of features: it's as capable a phone as they could make while streamlining as much as they could to fit a price point. That must mean that they could really cheaply produce the 8 chassis, the 8 camera, the A13 and the Touch ID hardware (and before that with the 5S and A9, etc.).

I think the SE is a great idea, actually, and I'm really glad Apple does it. I've owned both generations now, and between the two I'm now in for about, what, $800-$900 for the two including Apple Care and a battery replacement, approaching six years combined use.

(Actually more than six years, as my original 2016 SE is now being used by my stepson. Approaching six years in the field!)

I do wonder when the next SE will come out, and what chassis and camera it will have. The first two models have each been the throwback "small phone"...but I do think that's coincidence. We really only have two models to go on. Will a four-year cycle be standard? Will the 8 body remain, or will it be something else? In both cases so far, they gave it a body that they were already producing. Perhaps within a couple of years, that's the 12? Or even the 11?
Yes definitely, the SE devices (SE1, SE2 and Apple Watch) offers amazing performance for their price points, and from Apples point of view, they get more IOS devices to people hands to spend money on Apple services.

lkalliance

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2015
There will always be a Home Button/Touch ID iPhone of some sort available.
I don’t think that’s definitively true. It will really depend on when Apple abandons the current SE form factor, and/or when they implement a new version of Touch ID. But I don’t feel it’s a policy decision to always have one. Though I’m just going on a hunch, not knowledge.

Reactions: N69AP and RRC

ElectronGuru

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA
The way I see it, the only reason why Apple released the iPhone SE models was to get rid of the remaining parts of older iPhone models, in line with Tim Cook's approach of streamlining the supply chain. I do not see Apple continuing to manufacture these old form factors after the stock is gone.

The iPhone SE is selling pretty well. There is no way apple had this many parts still around.

They are just cheap to produce now.

Agree with both of you. Tim has extra parts to build through. But after that venders also have extra parts. After that they would also have options for extra runs. Which by then they would have sales history to base new qty on.

Reactions: lkalliance

ElectronGuru

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA
OP there are 3 options

Buy now with low value

Buy later with high value

Buy from someone else who bought high value last year and gives you the depreciation

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
The iPhone SE is selling pretty well. There is no way apple had this many parts still around.

They are just cheap to produce now.
Well, it may also be the case. Or it may be that Apple had contracts with manufacturers of such parts which it would still have to fulfill, so it used them on the iPhone SE instead of disposing them.

Reactions: lkalliance

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Well, it may also be the case. Or it may be that Apple had contracts with manufacturers of such parts which it would still have to fulfill, so it used them on the iPhone SE instead of disposing them.

Nah. Apple has now released multiple generations of the basic iPad (which is pretty much the iPad SE) as well as an Apple Watch SE. Heck, the basic iPad's the only iPad that has seen a more or less regular annual release schedule since 2017.

Services now generates, what, $30 billion annually? The release of these more affordable devices seem very deliberate to me to introduce and keep customers in the Apple ecosystem. Meanwhile, the older designs and downgraded features help keep cannibalization of their higher end products low.

daddyd302

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2012
West Allis, WI
The next SE will most likely replacing the iphone 13 mini and be similar to it, next year. That's why the rumors are going around saying this is the end of the line for the mini series.

Worlrl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 22, 2020
Thanks guys.
I see the home button superior to the gesture method.
It's just geniues,simple and useful. 1 button to rule them all.
Much more convinient. Scroll from top its notifications, from bottom it's control center. All with 1 hand .
Also cheap.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017

Apple has the best electronics supply chain management in the world.

Their team has been able to navigate around COVID shortages. But at the same time, they have such a crappy procurement team that they leftover parts from iPhone 8? So much that they’re able to make a 2020 and 2022 iPhone SE in volume?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.