Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gplusplus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 5, 2018
I can’t seem to find anything about this version of the app, other than the initial press release. Have I missed something? It’s most definitely not available yet.

meekgeek

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2008
I checked the store and it's certainly not there. Apple's press release states that it's coming to LG TVs in "future". Sure hope it is soon.

I tried streaming For All Mankind from my iPhone to a LG C9 via it's built in AirPlay support and it looks terrible. It's certainly not 4K, video compression artifacts are visible, and no Dolby Atmos or Dolby Vision either. Despite the fact that in LG's press releases, they state that their AirPlay support added to 2019 TVs do support Dolby Vision (not Atmos). Such a disappointingly sub-par experience.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
I checked the store and it's certainly not there. Apple's press release states that it's coming to LG TVs in "future". Sure hope it is soon.

I tried streaming For All Mankind from my iPhone to a LG C9 via it's built in AirPlay support and it looks terrible. It's certainly not 4K, video compression artifacts are visible, and no Dolby Atmos or Dolby Vision either. Despite the fact that in LG's press releases, they state that their AirPlay support added to 2019 TVs do support Dolby Vision (not Atmos). Such a disappointingly sub-par experience.

Stupid question I know, but when you tried it, did you do it via the AirPlay icon once you were playing something in the TV app? Or did you use mirroring from control centre to do it?
I only ask because mirroring is limited to 1080p at best because it sends the video from your iPhone to the TV over WiFi. Whereas using actual AirPlay should give you the full 4K version as it uses an optimised version streamed by the device itself from the Internet, not from the iPhone, your iPhone is only initiating the connection.

SaxPlayer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
Dorset, England
I have a 2017 LG OLED purchased in January 2018 when the prices had dropped prior to the new versions coming out in March. I looked for the AppleTV+ app in the LG Content Store but wasn't surprised not to find it. There's absolutely no technical reason why LG/Apple can't support older LG sets on WebOS. Frustrating!

It's subjective, obviously, however early reviews of Apple's TV content aren't promising. For example, The Morning Show got absolutely slated by the BBC's Arts correspondent and I haven't read anything yet on these Forums to make me think he's wrong. Not many positives about any of the other content either as far as I can see. It sounds like Apple are chucking money at stars and special effects and forgetting that the most important thing is the script. As I said, it is subjective so no doubt some people will love the shows.

Anyway, the reason I mention that is that if there was an AppleTV+ app on LG then I'd be able to watch and find out for myself. I don't want to watch on my iPhone or iPad or buy a third party streaming device to plug into my TV solely for AppleTV+ (the TV already has the other streaming services I'm interested in) so even with the free year I'm eligible for after buying a new iPhone, frankly I'm just not going to bother... unless a WebOS app for my OLED mysteriously appears. Which it won't.

Reactions: gplusplus

meekgeek

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2008
Stupid question I know, but when you tried it, did you do it via the AirPlay icon once you were playing something in the TV app? Or did you use mirroring from control centre to do it?
I only ask because mirroring is limited to 1080p at best because it sends the video from your iPhone to the TV over WiFi. Whereas using actual AirPlay should give you the full 4K version as it uses an optimised version streamed by the device itself from the Internet, not from the iPhone, your iPhone is only initiating the connection.

Yup, I streamed via the Apple TV app. Started playing the show on iPhone, tapped the AirPlay icon below and selected the TV.

(Perhaps it was a bandwidth issue and it used a lower resolution/quality stream. I left the show to play for another 4 mins to give the streaming bandwidth & buffer time to stabilize, but the compression artifacts were still there. Netflix over the same home fiber connection to my TV connected via wired Ethernet always starts streaming at 4K within 5 seconds of hitting play.)
[automerge]1572704231[/automerge]
Anyway, the reason I mention that is that if there was an AppleTV+ app on LG then I'd be able to watch and find out for myself. I don't want to watch on my iPhone or iPad or buy a third party streaming device to plug into my TV solely for AppleTV+ (the TV already has the other streaming services I'm interested in) so even with the free year I'm eligible for after buying a new iPhone, frankly I'm just not going to bother... unless a WebOS app for my OLED mysteriously appears. Which it won't.

Exactly in the same boat as you. And there's no guarantee the Apple TV app on webOS would support both Dolby Atmos & Dolby Vision. I'm interested in the best reviewed show so far (For All Mankind) but having to cough up for an Apple TV 4K just to watch it in the best quality possible is a little too much to stomach.

I was hoping the AirPlay support on LG would support both Dolby technologies but alas, Apple's streaming tech still needs some work. Looks like the free year of Apple TV+ with my iPhone purchase would be going to waste.

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
I wouldn’t expect it unless you just bought an LG TV last month. Their software support is horrible. My TV is from 2015, it’s fast for a smart TV, neflix works great, amazon, plex but Hulu is all the sudden no longer supported yet it works on my Roku 2 and Roku 3. It even has a web browser which I only used to see how it worked and it is actually quite fast.
Smart TVs are planned obsolescence. The only reason I have one is because I got it from a friend who upgraded to a 70”. My last TV purchase before my LG was bought specifically because it wasn’t a smart TV.

TL;DR, get a set-top box. Smart TVs suck.

gplusplus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 5, 2018
I wouldn’t expect it unless you just bought an LG TV last month. Their software support is horrible. My TV is from 2015, it’s fast for a smart TV, neflix works great, amazon, plex but Hulu is all the sudden no longer supported yet it works on my Roku 2 and Roku 3. It even has a web browser which I only used to see how it worked and it is actually quite fast.
Smart TVs are planned obsolescence. The only reason I have one is because I got it from a friend who upgraded to a 70”. My last TV purchase before my LG was bought specifically because it wasn’t a smart TV.

TL;DR, get a set-top box. Smart TVs suck.

Honestly, I’ve enjoyed LG WebOS more than anything else: Roku, ChromeCast, Apple TV, and Fire TV. The integration, speed, remote control, and ease of use is just awesome. For the first time ever, I really can do everything with one remote that isn’t slow and finicky. Please don’t mention Logitech Harmony; it’s slow and finicky! :)

I agree that LG’s software support is garbage and planned obsolescence. It’s so bad to the point that I want to boycott LG and never buy another LG product again. They do this on purpose and it’s infuriating. I’m hoping other companies start offering competitive emissive displays, whether that be OLED, micro-LED, or something else. The problem is despite LG’s spyware-laden, horrible software support, the displays are just so damn good and I don’t really want anything else.

So many first world problems.

Reactions: Project Alice

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
Honestly, I’ve enjoyed LG WebOS more than anything else: Roku, ChromeCast, Apple TV, and Fire TV. The integration, speed, remote control, and ease of use is just awesome. For the first time ever, I really can do everything with one remote that isn’t slow and finicky. Please don’t mention Logitech Harmony; it’s slow and finicky! :)

I agree that LG’s software support is garbage and planned obsolescence. It’s so bad to the point that I want to boycott LG and never buy another LG product again. They do this on purpose and it’s infuriating. I’m hoping other companies start offering competitive emissive displays, whether that be OLED, micro-LED, or something else. The problem is despite LG’s spyware-laden, horrible software support, the displays are just so damn good and I don’t really want anything else.

So many first world problems.
Funny, I’ve had almost the exact opposite experience. Yours is probably on webOS 3 though. Mine is “too old”.
Roku has the best remote in my opinion. Everytime I need to press a button on my LG I’ve got turn on a light to make sure it’s the right button. I can use the Roku remote behind my back.
The way I see it though it’s just a display with some fancy software. I’ll use my set-top box on it and won’t ever have to worry about it.

gplusplus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 5, 2018
Funny, I’ve had almost the exact opposite experience. Yours is probably on webOS 3 though. Mine is “too old”.
Roku has the best remote in my opinion. Everytime I need to press a button on my LG I’ve got turn on a light to make sure it’s the right button. I can use the Roku remote behind my back.
The way I see it though it’s just a display with some fancy software. I’ll use my set-top box on it and won’t ever have to worry about it.
Of the set top boxes, I agree that Roku’s is the best.

But the LG remote is the only one that has instant feedback, actual buttons, doesn’t have to be directly pointed at anything, can be used as an air-mouse, can turn all of my equipment on and off, switch TV inputs, change my AV receiver sound modes, and pretty much everything, all from one remote.

You can’t do that with a Roku remote, not even with a SideClick.

And to be clear, I preferred Roku to pretty much everything, including Apple TV, but they refuse to allow (good) universal remotes and they don’t support Dolby formats. The only reason I keep it around is because we watch Philo TV from time to time and an LG WebOS app isn’t available yet (or ever).

Eventually, yes, I will have to switch back to a set top box because LG tends to instantly obsolete their TVs by refusing to update the software. As much as I like the concept of an Apple TV 4K, it’s over 2 years old.

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
Of the set top boxes, I agree that Roku’s is the best.

But the LG remote is the only one that has instant feedback, actual buttons, doesn’t have to be directly pointed at anything, can be used as an air-mouse, can turn all of my equipment on and off, switch TV inputs, change my AV receiver sound modes, and pretty much everything, all from one remote.

You can’t do that with a Roku remote, not even with a SideClick.

And to be clear, I preferred Roku to pretty much everything, including Apple TV, but they refuse to allow (good) universal remotes and they don’t support Dolby formats. The only reason I keep it around is because we watch Philo TV from time to time and an LG WebOS app isn’t available yet (or ever).

Eventually, yes, I will have to switch back to a set top box because LG tends to instantly obsolete their TVs by refusing to update the software. As much as I like the concept of an Apple TV 4K, it’s over 2 years old.
Which Roku do you have? All of mine are RF remotes. I leave the room and it’ll still work.

my LG remote is well, look at it lol
CD36BEBB-06AA-497C-B49E-2805EE6B5F0C.jpeg

It’s just a standard TV remote. It doesn’t do any of the things yours does.

gplusplus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 5, 2018
Which Roku do you have? All of mine are RF remotes. I leave the room and it’ll still work.

my LG remote is well, look at it lol View attachment 874907
It’s just a standard TV remote. It doesn’t do any of the things yours does.
Well then that explains the disparity! I’ve had every flagship Roku since the Roku 2 XS. So my current Rokus are both the Roku Ultras. The remotes are radio (peer to peer WiFi, but proprietary) and there is no option for infrared, which means I can’t integrate it with third party “master remote” type products. It also can’t control anything other than the Roku itself.

The LG Magic Remote, when combined with the newer LG WebOS and HDMI CEC, is basically the best experience I’ve ever had. And unlike Roku, when using the streaming apps on the TV, I get all the Dolby formats, just like Apple TV 4K and the new Nvidia Shield. But unlike the Apple TV, the remote doesn’t suck and the UI navigation isn’t ambiguous, and unlike the Nvidia Shield, it’s actually stable and doesn’t have any problems.

Honestly, I’d be happy with a revised Apple TV with newer silicon and perfectly seamless support for HDMI CEC.

Reactions: Project Alice

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
It is an unfortunate but necessary trend that just about every TV manufacturers are joining. With thin margin, TV manufacturers are turning to ads and suggested contents (and sometimes selling user's viewing habits) for post sale revenue.

LG's webOS, Samsung's Tizen, Sony's Android TV, TCL's Roku, Toshiba's Fire TV OSes all have forced ads and suggested contents.

The only way around it is using a set top box with good privacy policy like Apple TV. But it is one more thing to buy and add, and some folks really dislike juggling HDMI inputs.

I wouldn't be surprised if LG saves Apple TV app for 2010-series (e.g., LG C10).

Reactions: gplusplus

gplusplus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 5, 2018
It is an unfortunate but necessary trend that just about every TV manufacturers are joining. With thin margin, TV manufacturers are turning to ads and suggested contents (and sometimes selling user's viewing habits) for post sale revenue.

LG's webOS, Samsung's Tizen, Sony's Android TV, TCL's Roku, Toshiba's Fire TV OSes all have forced ads and suggested contents.

The only way around it is using a set top box with good privacy policy like Apple TV. But it is one more thing to buy and add, and some folks really dislike juggling HDMI inputs.

I wouldn't be surprised if LG saves Apple TV app for 2010-series (e.g., LG C10).
As much as I dislike it, I know you’re totally right. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.