Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kardashian

macrumors 68020
Sep 4, 2005
Britain.
i think its going to be orange as they are the only wons that have EDGE in the UK

Please don't say that.

Actually, I can't see this happening. Orange like to have total control over handset image - both physical and software. They re-package and re-box phones with Orange-branded designs, apply Orange logo's onto the handset, and flash the software with their own - removing all forms of generic software - all settings, colours schemes, ringtones, games, software, backgrounds, start up and shutdown screens, and abilities are either controlled/customised/crippled or disabled by Orange.

Their handsets are also prone to freezing due to the aweful firmware they install, as well as the stupid Orange Sidebar.

Nicolasdec

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2006
São Paulo
Please don't say that.

Actually, I can't see this happening. Orange like to have total control over handset image - both physical and software. They re-package and re-box phones with Orange-branded designs, apply Orange logo's onto the handset, and flash the software with their own - removing all forms of generic software - all settings, colours schemes, ringtones, games, software, backgrounds, start up and shutdown screens, and abilities are either controlled/customised/crippled or disabled by Orange.

Their handsets are also prone to freezing due to the aweful firmware they install, as well as the stupid Orange Sidebar.

I know i hate when they do that they put new softwear on it and stuff vodafone dose the same thing its soo stupid.

Kardashian

macrumors 68020
Sep 4, 2005
Britain.
I know i hate when they do that they put new softwear on it and stuff vodafone dose the same thing its soo stupid.

It's pointless as hell. Your buying a phone on their network, so they've already been paid a certain % by the maker/seller for using their name/services - then they get paid for top-ups etc.

You'r buying a phone, not an advertisement - its awefully annoying. This is why I never buy Voda or Orange (unless its from Carphone WHouse, as all their phones, no matter what network, are unbranded)

MarkW19

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2002
Surrey, UK
i think its going to be orange as they are the only wons that have EDGE in the UK

I very much doubt that. Hardly anyone uses EDGE in the UK; it's GPRS, 3G, or of course wifi. Apple won't just go with Orange so they can use EDGE.

Also, Apple sensibly wants to use just one carrier for Europe - Orange don't even have coverage in certain countries. Also AT&T have ties with Tmobile, I believe.

millar876

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2004
Kilmarnock, Scotland UK
my Phone is on orange, its a samsung D900. it has NO stickers or graphics anywhere on it that say its an orange handset, the theme that was on it was the standard sammy one, standard sammy software and thethe web browser goes to samsungfun site. Startup and shutdown screens are standard sammy ones to. This was the same with my nokia 7610, apart from the x-presson cover that came with had a small orange logo stuck on the back in the same place where vodaphone, t-mobile & O2 stuck their logos, it also had an orange theme that could be deselected whenever you felt like by changing the theme to one of your own or the Nokia default.

one of the KEY features of the iPhone is EDGE, which T-mobile has stated they have NO INTREST WHATSOEVER of rolling out because they skipped it and went to 3G and dont want to take a step back

Wikindie

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2006
United Kingdom
I'm hoping that Apple go with T-Mobile. I've had no trouble with them at all. The only thing I don't like about them is their crap website. Meh.

Sly

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2003
Airstrip One
As mentioned above I think Apple would want to work with a provider who has good European coverage and partners. Also possibly one with Europe's largest mobile network, they went with the big boys in the U.S. My moneys on Vodaphone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.