Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoinksUK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2017
UK
I am tempted to install the beta on my iPhone just to get the supposed map improvements that IOS 11 is said to have. I know often in betas these new feature only work for US users - does anyone have any practical experience using it with CarPlay in the UK?

Until the beginning of this year, I had been using TomTom UK route guidance ever since the release of the iPhone 3S. I had become accustom to really good routing and added features like speed cameras and traffic. The downside was having to stick the iPhone to the car window.

I bought a new car in January with CarPlay can cant believe how poor the routing is. Even from the front of my house it takes an unnecessary 1 mile detour. Navigating to POIs is a waste of time as take you to the nearest road, but miles away from the access point for the POI. I am at the point of abandoning CarPlay and sticking my iPhone back onto the windscreen, just so I can us TomTom again.

syphern

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
Not really overal google/Waze is still the best

Apple maps took me to a strange route where the road had been closed for a long time and a new road was made (1 year ago now) but it told me to keep driving onto that road.

yongtjunkit

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2016
I am tempted to install the beta on my iPhone just to get the supposed map improvements that IOS 11 is said to have. I know often in betas these new feature only work for US users - does anyone have any practical experience using it with CarPlay in the UK?

Until the beginning of this year, I had been using TomTom UK route guidance ever since the release of the iPhone 3S. I had become accustom to really good routing and added features like speed cameras and traffic. The downside was having to stick the iPhone to the car window.

I bought a new car in January with CarPlay can cant believe how poor the routing is. Even from the front of my house it takes an unnecessary 1 mile detour. Navigating to POIs is a waste of time as take you to the nearest road, but miles away from the access point for the POI. I am at the point of abandoning CarPlay and sticking my iPhone back onto the windscreen, just so I can us TomTom again.
Use waze, it's comunity based map and real time traffic, it just doesn't have lane guidance and if there a traffic jam it could redirect you to a different route to bypass/avoid the jam. It could alert you about police road block, hidden police too

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.