Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matraco

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2014
Nope. What you’re experiencing is one of two things, it’s either a ‘bad anodization‘ process with the 6000 series aluminum on the 6S and/or it’s from the sweat from your hands is acidic where it’s causing a reaction with anodized aluminum (Notice along the sides of your picture, that’s the worst area because that’s where your hands are consistently touching.)

Also, there were some minor issues with the anodization on the 6000 series aluminum, but it was very rare, [and alleged to be a small batch of iPhones that actually experienced this]. However, the ‘Fading’ from the OP‘s phone compared to yours are two entirely separate issues.

Here is a thread showing the exact situation with another member with the Apple Watch:

Im hoping the "aerospace-grade" aluminium of the iphone 11 end ups being better, as i usually prefer the phones caseless (at home at least).

Techguy46

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2020
Did the alcohol get inside the clear case while being wiped and sat there to cause this damage? Trying to understand why the mute switch which is the exposed part is absolutely fine but the parts inside the case have experienced the discolouration?

Not sure why people are wiping phones down with alcohol wipes really. A dry microfibre cloth is perhaps the best and safest bet and will clean the smudges off fine.

It is because of the corona virus thing, I try to keep everything clean as much as possible.

And yes I wondered why the mute switch seem to be absolutely fine, if it because of the UV-light, it should be the worst part.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
It is because of the corona virus thing, I try to keep everything clean as much as possible.

And yes I wondered why the mute switch seem to be absolutely fine, if it because of the UV-light, it should be the worst part.

Were you wiping the phone down whilst it was still inside the clear case? Just wondering if alcohol residue has seeped inside? If that is the case then perhaps this has prevented the alcohol evaporating and it’s eaten into the surface finish.

Reactions: 5105973

mcpooolie

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2020
??
I used 75% Ethanol and it is the same alcohol that used to disinfect your wound. All of my friends are all used this Alcohol to wipe their phone, but it didn't do any damage.

I went to Apple store and they did said what you said, it counts as cosmetic damages so it outside warranty coverage.
I think my phone doesn't have any other software issues it just all color.

In this case I just want to know how long can it be expose to UV-light (sunlight) til the paint start decolorize. or even it cause by UV light at all

ah i see. i can’t comment on the effects of UV light on paint but it sounds really strange that sunlight would affect the paint on your iPhone...

if it helps your understanding, i’ve been using my iPhone 11 naked since oct 19, and to this day it’s still looking flawless. been dunked in water, to the beach, left in a hot car, tossed around by my cat and the like. haven’t had any paint issues yet. mind you i even have occasionally sweaty palms! ??‍♂️

6082A7D6-B672-4F00-9EAF-25E9E2E1A3E3.jpeg
CE2AD876-F879-42C0-8668-B02DCEFEEE8F.jpeg

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
I noticed my mom’s red XR has the same problem. She, too, has a clear case on her phone so I’m guessing that is part of the problem.

I do know that her phone hasn’t been exposed to direct sunlight for prolonged periods of time. And I know she hasn’t applied alcohol to her phone at all.

Attachments

• 7B303C80-0AE6-4FBE-97AA-A1AA078C9128.jpeg
    7B303C80-0AE6-4FBE-97AA-A1AA078C9128.jpeg
    285.4 KB · Views: 462
  • 19D9BA5F-532E-4052-A207-36A330EF4A7B.jpeg
    19D9BA5F-532E-4052-A207-36A330EF4A7B.jpeg
    255.5 KB · Views: 151
  • B0CE7433-3D05-4AC7-B973-B9785A911892.jpeg
    B0CE7433-3D05-4AC7-B973-B9785A911892.jpeg
    292.7 KB · Views: 174

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
It’s looking like clear cases intensify the light getting to the phone edges and this is UV damage. Apple should deal with this. I wonder if there’s anybody out there who has had this issue when using no case at all? I’d be straight onto Apple and perhaps getting a replacement in a different colour.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I noticed my mom’s red XR has the same problem. She, too, has a clear case on her phone so I’m guessing that is part of the problem.

I do know that her phone hasn’t been exposed to direct sunlight for prolonged periods of time. And I know she hasn’t applied alcohol to her phone at all.

I know there’s been threads in the past where other members have used cheap Silicone clear cases, and somehow it has an interaction with the anodized aluminum, causing a discoloration. If I had to guess, it has to do with some type of moisture or even relative humidity can be a problem, where the slightest amount when the ‘silicone case’ heats up, causes this type of reaction.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017

There are plenty sources of UV at home, e.g. incandescent bulb in a nightstand lamp. The case is not likely the problem - unless you believe it selectively affects only parts of the aluminum chassis.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
The only realistic thing I can think of here is that the coating wasn’t sealed and maybe Apple have not been doing this to keep costs down? I know these phones aren’t anodised but the same process should be applied once the colour is chemically applied. This would give the material a 5 year life in constant UV exposure. Silicones are often used to bond to aluminium so I find it difficult to believe thinking about this more that the case could release oil onto the phone. This is definitely the byproduct of an unfinished manufacturing process and Apple should take responsibility for this.

Techguy46

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2020

For now that this thing happen to someone else, I think this happen because of the clear case combine with the "Red color" coating process as The-Real-Deal82 said.

I know there’s been threads in the past where other members have used cheap Silicone clear cases, and somehow it has an interaction with the anodized aluminum, causing a discoloration. If I had to guess, it has to do with some type of moisture or even relative humidity can be a problem, where the slightest amount when the ‘silicone case’ heats up, causes this type of reaction.

If the color of that Iphone is red, I probably can conclude that Apple "red" coating process should have some problem

faraine

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2018
It seems the pro version with midnight green is also affected:

Reactions: tt061282

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Could be a problem with the finish however there would be more people on this forum complaining
Some of the people mention cleaning with alcohol which could damage the color if exposed for a long period of time
Funny nobody mentions having their iPhone in a leather case or silicon case and having discoloration

MarkX

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2015
Fochabers, Scotland
Have you ever noticed why Red cars seem to fade more often than other cars?

(Copied from detailing world)
Red/Red cars fade because wavelengths associated with red are the lowest energy of visible light, so to appear red it's absorbing much more energetic wavelengths, which causes more aggressive degradation of the paint's molecular bonds. This is in addition to what UV rays are doing.

In regards to the iPhone or anything else that is anodized, you could clear coat the anodized aluminum but then you lose the benefits of the hard anodized process.

Last edited:
Reactions: ericwn

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Have you ever noticed why Red cars seem to fade more often than other cars?

(Copied from detailing world)
Red/Red cars fade because wavelengths associated with red are the lowest energy of visible light, so to appear red it's absorbing much more energetic wavelengths, which causes more aggressive degradation of the paint's molecular bonds. This is in addition to what UV rays are doing.

In regards to the iPhone or anything else that is anodized, you could clear coat the anodized aluminum but then you lose the benefits of the hard anodized process.
1615911356595.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.