Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Does your 16 inch MacBook Pro have pop/cracking sound issue?

• Total voters

Viamusic10000

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2019
I really want to get one of these, this is my only hang up. What are the chances this is a software/firmware issue?

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
I really want to get one of these, this is my only hang up. What are the chances this is a software/firmware issue?

I had it originally but now with the latest Catalina I don't. Some others still have it though so it seems mixed fixed it for some of us didn't fix it for others.

Purchase one, if it has it, return it. No real big deal right.

Reactions: Viamusic10000

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
Don't know what Jesus thinks, but it's possible this is a complex issue, not fixable by doing only one thing.
so for you...even an complex issue should take over 1 year to be fixed? And this is not a low-medium company...its Apple...yes Apple that provide us 4 years the butterfly keyboard...so let not try to somehow found them excuses

dmstasinos

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2019
Ok, its clear the pop sound related with safari is not fixed...
Apple still need some work..and macrumors should not let this go...and we need some red flag for Apple
FCP is fixed...its clear that Apple is fixing 1 thing over 1 year
With Mojave they fixed the sound issue from Apple Music
After 1 year we have FCP sound issue fix
Lets hope in 1 year we will have safari youtube sound issue fixed
Jesus..is not a big thing but again...why Apple isnt fixing the whole issue but just half of it

This is how they deal with issues like this the last 5-6 years. Even the last version of Mojave has some major bugs (the screen starts flashing randomly on my iMac 2015, external devices are not recognised after wake up from sleep etc).

Bugs that occur in popular apps like iTunes are instantly fixed but anything that may get some real troubles to professionals always have to wait at least one year to get addressed (or they just migrate to the next OS and then you have to deal with them forever).

Did they fix anything regarding the popping in Mojave by the way? The last version i have is September’s 10.14.6 supplemental update.

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
so for you...even an complex issue should take over 1 year to be fixed? And this is not a low-medium company...its Apple...yes Apple that provide us 4 years the butterfly keyboard...so let not try to somehow found them excuses
Just answering your question why Apple may not have totally solved the problem all at once. No matter the size of a company, problems will be dealt with in relation to their severity and ease of solution. I'll leave it to you (and Jesus) whether that's an excuse or an explanation.

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
give him a rest...hes just trolling...he cancel the 16" that has proper cooling,keyboard but he keeps his 13" 2019 that also has this software pop issue

Bottom line for me only safari+youtube still has this issue...the rest are fixed
What are you even talking about? The person that posted that has NO hardware listed in their sig. Just making stuff up are you? SMH
[automerge]1576454337[/automerge]
Dude he’s trolled all over that thread.
The only person trolling is you I’m afraid. And who says I’m a “dude”? It’s pathetic how certain members like you seem to get your rocks off meaninglessly attacking strangers. It’s sad really!

Last edited:
Reactions: sat24 and auralux

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
Still a ton of conflicting reports as to whether or not this is fixed. Would love to know if it is truly fixed.

ScreenSavers

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2016
Bloomingdale, GA
Even with Catalina 10.15.3 Beta just installed today, the popping is driving me nuts. Especially while editing in FCP X. When will this be fixed? No such problems on my 2018...

CloudsNeverDie

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2015
Just updated to the latest Catalina release, and the issue does seem to be fixed for me in normal usage, seeking in YouTube videos, etc. Now I don't hear any popping sound at all. However, I don't use FCP X, so I haven't tested that.

Correction: after a few wakes from sleep, and while trying other YouTube videos in Chrome, I am now still hearing the popping sound from time to time. Running 10.15.2. It helps to test using a YouTube video with a lot of bass, like this one:

Last edited:

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
Just updated to the latest Catalina release, and the issue does seem to be fixed for me in normal usage, seeking in YouTube videos, etc. Now I don't hear any popping sound at all. However, I don't use FCP X, so I haven't tested that.
If you have pre 2018 model, of course it is fixed...so what model do you have

Passingby

Suspended
Dec 17, 2019
The popping is app, codec and bit rate dependent. To use YouTube as an example, not all videos are uploaded and delivered the same.

You should all organise and form a standard test that reproduces the popping. Without that you are getting anecdotal feedback from users playing different content. Anecdotes are the worst method for gathering opinion data.

Reactions: davecom

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
Ok, it seems the poping on safari+youtube ,sound could be related to safari since ive updated the todays safari technology preview and there is no more popping sound
[automerge]1576701858[/automerge]
I used FCP X on my 2018 all the time and I never had a single popping sound until I got the 16 inch.
yes, on my 2018 15" never had this issue on FCP X..only on the 16"

Jl006p

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2019
398805BF-49BB-41C2-95FD-644ACD164C0E.jpeg

sat24

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2019
Thanks so much for letting us all know, we were all desperately wondering what your plans were with your order. I know I can rest easy now knowing that your cancelled it.

And FWIW, the popping has completely gone away for me with the latest Catalina update.
Such vitriol! Jeez.

Reactions: CloudsNeverDie

Jl006p

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2019
I just signed up for the beta and installed Catalina 10.15.3 today. Still having that popping sound when scrubbing thru YouTube videos?

Reactions: g75d3

Passingby

Suspended
Dec 17, 2019
The popping is a chip design fault and also randomly occurs on the iOS devices released in the last year, especially if you have some sounds playing when taking an incoming call. It only happens on the built in speakers and not when connected to external speakers or headphones. Either the chip designers of the T2 and Bionic screwed up or Apple deliberately did this to pressure users to buy AirPods.

They may find more software mitigations but this issue was introduced with the T2 and existed in High Sierra, Mojave and Catalina, and all the beta builds between each software update. There have been more firmware updates to these affected Macs than any Macs or any computer in the history of computing (this isn't an exaggeration).

I predict this will never be fully fixed. Never has an issue had so many attempts to fix it and remained unresolved after 18 months. The same goes for the BridgeOS crashes. I wouldn't touch a new computer with a T2.

Viamusic10000

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2019
The popping is a chip design fault and also randomly occurs on the iOS devices released in the last year, especially if you have some sounds playing when taking an incoming call. It only happens on the built in speakers and not when connected to external speakers or headphones. Either the chip designers of the T2 and Bionic screwed up or Apple deliberately did this to pressure users to buy AirPods.

They may find more software mitigations but this issue was introduced with the T2 and existed in High Sierra, Mojave and Catalina, and all the beta builds between each software update. There have been more firmware updates to these affected Macs than any Macs or any computer in the history of computing (this isn't an exaggeration).

I predict this will never be fully fixed. Never has an issue had so many attempts to fix it and remained unresolved after 18 months. The same goes for the BridgeOS crashes. I wouldn't touch a new computer with a T2.
Interesting. How do you explain people saying the issue has improved or vanished if its unifixable via firmware.

Reactions: Ifti
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.