Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Does your 16 inch MacBook Pro have pop/cracking sound issue?

• Total voters

globalmatt

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2016
http://www.fcp.co/final-cut-pro/art...h-new-16-inch-macbook-pro-and-final-cut-pro-x

On fcp.com:
"So having convinced ourselves there really was a problem, we contacted Apple. They saw the issue first hand and they are already investigating."

Sounds hopeful.

The good news is that, because this issue is so widespread (well over 50% of 16-inch MBPs by the looks of it, if not all of them), Apple will surely have to address it.

Even if it's a hardware issue, it should at least be possible for them to work around it in software. I can work around it just by playing a long silent audio file in the background all the time to prevent the audio system shutting off. Gets rid of the pops completely.

Reactions: Sanpete

globalmatt

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2016
Every time there's a pop when you skip in YouTube, this error appears in the Console:

default 17:35:04.917068+1100 com.apple.WebKit.WebContent SourceBufferPrivateAVFObjC::enqueueSample(89250002) prerollDecodeWithCompletionHandler failed

Bit of a clue there methinks...

Carlo0101

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2019
The good news is that, because this issue is so widespread (well over 50% of 16-inch MBPs by the looks of it, if not all of them), Apple will surely have to address it.

Even if it's a hardware issue, it should at least be possible for them to work around it in software. I can work around it just by playing a long silent audio file in the background all the time to prevent the audio system shutting off. Gets rid of the pops completely.

I have an 60 minutes mp3 file of silence to run in background: is possible to schedule a console command (afplay?) that runs every hour?

EDIT
Solved with local crontab.

Last edited:

globalmatt

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2016
I have an 60 minutes mp3 file of silence to run in background: is possible to schedule a console command (afplay?) that runs every hour?

Nice idea!

1. Open Terminal

2. Type crontab -e (return)

3. (assuming vi editor) go to the end of the file and press i

4. enter:

0 * * * * afplay [path-to-audio-file] (return)

5. Press Esc (nice that we can actually press Esc again now!)

6. Type :wq (return)

That should schedule that command to run on the hour, every hour.

Carlo0101

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2019
Nice idea!

1. Open Terminal

2. Type crontab -e (return)

3. (assuming vi editor) go to the end of the file and press i

4. enter:

0 * * * * afplay [path-to-audio-file] (return)

5. Press Esc (nice that we can actually press Esc again now!)

6. Type :wq (return)

That should schedule that command to run on the hour, every hour.

Just did it, but seems not working: do I have to edit crontab with root permission?

EDIT

It works, just a typo.

Problem is that afplay takes more than 1% of cpu...

Hoping that apple solve this as soon as possible,

Last edited:

globalmatt

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2016
Just did it, but seems not working: do I have to edit crontab with root permission?

No you shouldn't need to be root. But you will need to wait until the start of the next hour for the first job to run.

You can check if it's running by typing "ps (return)" in the Terminal.

Also you can just enter 'afplay [path-to-audio-file] (return)' directly in the Terminal if you want to check that the command works OK first.
[automerge]1574413646[/automerge]
Actually to check if it's running, type:

ps aux | grep afplay (return)

Last edited:

Carlo0101

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2019
No you shouldn't need to be root. But you will need to wait until the start of the next hour for the first job to run.

You can check if it's running by typing "ps (return)" in the Terminal.

Also you can just enter 'afplay [path-to-audio-file] (return)' directly in the Terminal if you want to check that the command works OK first.

Ok, I've solved before. Was a typo.

To run mp3 at login (without wait crontab at next iteration), create an automator app that run a shell script with same command, save the *.app bundle and add it to the Login Items list in System Preferences > User & Groups > Login Items.

PLEASE APPLE...DO SOMETHING...

globalmatt

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2016
Ok, I've solved before. Was a typo.

To run mp3 at login (without wait crontab at next iteration), create an automator app that run a shell script with same command, save the *.app bundle and add it to the Login Items list in System Preferences > User & Groups > Login Items.

PLEASE APPLE...DO SOMETHING...

Nice work!

If we can work around this, I'm sure Apple can :)

Reactions: junkw

darwichee90

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2017
I had the late 2017 15 inch, that had a popping sound everytime i played hearthstone or watched youtube clips. It ended up with Apple replaced the top case, and the solved everything for me.

It sounds exactly the same, and i'm afraid if i buy the 16 inch i will get the same problem now. That really sucks.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

Carlo0101

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2019
I had the late 2017 15 inch, that had a popping sound everytime i played hearthstone or watched youtube clips. It ended up with Apple replaced the top case, and the solved everything for me.

This time is a bit different: popping occours when video/audio clip is stopped or shifted.

MengkeMary

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2019
Minneapolis
Every time there's a pop when you skip in YouTube, this error appears in the Console:

default 17:35:04.917068+1100 com.apple.WebKit.WebContent SourceBufferPrivateAVFObjC::enqueueSample(89250002) prerollDecodeWithCompletionHandler failed

Bit of a clue there methinks...
Wow, that is an important discovery. I think you should bring it to Apple's attention. It could be of great value to help them locate this issue. Thank you. Excellent work!

Update:
I just tried to observe this in the console. It turns out that the error only happens when you do the experiment with Safari. I could not find anything while trying to reproduce it with MIDI setup, which is mentioned in this post
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250879269?answerId=251669431022#251669431022

Last edited:
Reactions: Sanpete

foldpages

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2014
United States
Nice work!

If we can work around this, I'm sure Apple can :)

Fingers crossed!

At this point, I'm very confident that it can be solved via a software fix even if it's a hardware related issue.

Exchanging your machine will not fix the issue. I saw a guy on twitter who went through 3 exchanges and every single machine he got made the pop.

TechViking

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2009
My unit has a smaller pop sound on switching between play/pause in youtube and a larger crackle sound when advancing to next video.

Carlo0101

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2019
My unit has a smaller pop sound on switching between play/pause in youtube and a larger crackle sound when advancing to next video.

Try with a video with more bass, some Barry White song for example...You'll see that small pops become bigger.

MikeVera

macrumors regular
May 5, 2014
I wonder if this is somehow related to that "two subwoofers that cancel each other out" haha

Whackman

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2012
Hmn, something to keep in mind. I hope mine doesn't have it when they deliver it. But i hope they fix this through an update real fast anyway.

TechViking

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2009

The larger crackle sound when advancing to next video in youtube vanishes if bluetooth headphones are used for audio output (tested with powerbeats pro).

The smaller popping sound when switching between play/pause in in youtube is still there for me using bluetooth audio output.

Reactions: g75d3

MikeVera

macrumors regular
May 5, 2014
I THINK this is "good news" in regards a software fix.

I just opened a video on YouTube in macOS, and the popping was there. Booted into the latest build of Windows 10 (via Bootcamp), played the exact same video on YouTube, was jumping around the video.... no popping.....

darwichee90

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2017
i really wish i wasn' that kind of a person that allways have to pre-read every topics about the 16 inch, before buying it.

The only thing i can think of now is the popping sound , and weither mine will have that or not, and the dimming problem.

obargy

macrumors regular
May 6, 2016
🇨🇦
Tested YouTube on safari and it also happens for me. But I usually watch YouTube on chrome because of the 1080P limitation on safari. So it wouldn't be an issue for me I guess.

Whackman

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2012
i really wish i wasn' that kind of a person that allways have to pre-read every topics about the 16 inch, before buying it.

The only thing i can think of now is the popping sound , and weither mine will have that or not, and the dimming problem.
Just look at it this way: now you know exactly what to look for instead of finding out really late.
The sooner you can ask for a replacement the better. But i'm the same. I can't wait for it to arrive but i'm also scared that it will be one of the flawed ones. And the journey it had to take to get to my house is so long. But in ist cases it will be fine. This forum is just the place where most of these issues get reported.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.