Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Does your 16 inch MacBook Pro have pop/cracking sound issue?

• Total voters

Ryanmrash

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2016
Guess I'll weigh in...I had the popping sound on YouTube during my first day of use. I haven't heard the sound or been able to replicate it since...Ive played a number of different video from various sources and in different apps...Guess Im a lucky one that doesn't have a real problem....

My screen is perfect, it runs cool...Ive had zero Bridge error or other crashes....I'm quite pleased..

Reactions: sat24

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
It really seems to be software related as I plugged my laptop into my monitors sound bar and I'm able to replicate it there inside IINA when scrubbing videos. This sound bar connects to my Thunderbolt 3 dock and uses the DAC inside that, the laptop is not driving that audio directly but only sending digital information etc

So ? seems like a Core Audio Framework problem to me. I still cannot replicate it in Chrome on YouTube or the Music App only IINA which is a third party video player similar to VLC. It seems which app is doing it is random between all of us.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
Guess I'll weigh in...I had the popping sound on YouTube during my first day of use. I haven't heard the sound or been able to replicate it since...Ive played a number of different video from various sources and in different apps...Guess Im a lucky one that doesn't have a real problem....

My screen is perfect, it runs cool...Ive had zero Bridge error or other crashes....I'm quite pleased..

Sounds like my 2018 15". Only one pop in the speakers in 2 years when a notification came through, no T2 crashes, great screen, no coil whine (that I could hear) and no overheating. I do love my new 16" though and the only issue is the popping in the speakers. Good luck with your computer. I hope it stays problem free - they do exist.

Reactions: Ryanmrash

DubCity

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2019
It’s software guys. The issue does not exist in chrome. Just wait it out and quit using crappy safari for now.

globalmatt

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2016
Really? I definitely have this issue when using Chrome on mine.

Interesting. I just installed Chrome to test - no popping for me when skipping around YT videos in Chrome. Just Safari. Chrome build 78.0.3904.108.

Edit: Actually I do hear a slight high-pitched clicking in Chrome, but its not the same as the distinctive "pop" sound in YT on Safari. However I do get that distinctive "pop" when using using the Chrome Back button while the music is playing. Anything that stops the music abruptly seems to produce the pop.

Edit #2: Firefox does have the popping when skipping around videos in YT.

So Safari and Firefox have the popping. Chrome just has the quieter clicking sound. I would guess that Chrome is avoiding the popping by not abruptly stopping the audio stream when skipping around, whereas Safari and Firefox are abruptly stopping it. Just my hunch.

Last edited:

dmstasinos

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2019
The fact I can get the popping to happen on both the laptop speakers and my LG Ultrafine speakers, makes me think it is software rather than hardware. (I don't think the Thunderbolt 3 connection to my monitor has an analog audio signal.)
Man this comment is very useful! I was waiting for someone to test if the pops are passing through the thunderbolt port in an external device like a screen with built in speakers. In this case the audio signal is digital, so the audio interface's DA converter and the internal speakers are not involved so the software bug scenario is reinforced.

donawalt

Contributor
Sep 10, 2015
I have it on MacBook Pro 16", Safari and Chrome. I just go into YouTube, let a music video play, and while playing click on another song/video in the right hand panel. Happens every time in both. It also happens when I close the tab while music is playing.

Note, it absolutely does NOT happen ever, in Apple Music. I have played a number of songs to test it, hit right arrow to hop to a new song; I have clicked in the time line to advance in the same song, I have stopped the song from playing, all while the music is going - nothing. Another indication it's a software and not generic hardware issue?

Nikita Zelenyuk

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2019
I have it on MacBook Pro 16", Safari and Chrome. I just go into YouTube, let a music video play, and while playing click on another song/video in the right hand panel. Happens every time in both. It also happens when I close the tab while music is playing.

Note, it absolutely does NOT happen ever, in Apple Music. I have played a number of songs to test it, hit right arrow to hop to a new song; I have clicked in the time line to advance in the same song, I have stopped the song from playing, all while the music is going - nothing. Another indication it's a software and not generic hardware issue?
I have it in apple music as well

mikedit

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2019
Canada

Same for me, no clicks playing a song in Apple Music. Same song in Amazon music has the click as soon as the song is paused. Also playing the same song as a youtube video has zero clicks when paused but clicks when fast forward is pressed or another video is selected.

Macintosh101

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2017
On YouTube someone has found a temporary fix until Apple patches this issue. Its pretty simple - open QuickTime - Select 'New Audio Recording' from the File menu (you don't need to start the recording). Minimize QuickTime and the popping problem goes away in whatever application you're using. Here's a link to his video:

yachtmac

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2010

I have observed the popping when playing radio in Apple Music and exiting the app using Command Q

Last edited:

drumstr

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2016
My base 16 inch i7 model has popping sound in everything ive tried with built in speaker playback. Ive tried a lot of things to stop it and some work, but only temporarily. In logic when bass sounds are sustained you can hear the speakers crackling and having issues. I know its not the speakers not being able to put out low frequencies with a clean sound b/c at times there are no issues.....This seems like a software issue like others have stated and its rather annoying for a device that im liking so much in other areas.

drumstr

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2016
I just did start stop playback in Logic of a project im working on and its making a short higher pitched popping sound when starting/stopping and also a lower pitched oscillating crackling/popping sound that is constant but not as audible. It is noticeable and this comes and goes ive noticed. What is going on here? The speakers sound so great for a laptop, but this is a big issue. I like having a laptop for ease of use anywhere I go and the built in speakers are nice to actually for once not always needing to use headphones or external speakers for quick recordings and playbacks. For longer more serious sessions I dont use built in speakers, but for the price and capability of this thing it should not have this problem.

Reactions: uzornakovre

covedrop

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2019
I just did start stop playback in Logic of a project im working on and its making a short higher pitched popping sound when starting/stopping and also a lower pitched oscillating crackling/popping sound that is constant but not as audible. It is noticeable and this comes and goes ive noticed. What is going on here? The speakers sound so great for a laptop, but this is a big issue. I like having a laptop for ease of use anywhere I go and the built in speakers are nice to actually for once not always needing to use headphones or external speakers for quick recordings and playbacks. For longer more serious sessions I dont use built in speakers, but for the price and capability of this thing it should not have this problem.

I came here to address this same issue. There is a rhythmic popping/crackling when using logic. At first I thought it might have been an effect I was using but it's not. It doesn't appear when using headphones.

This may actually point to a hardware issue? I still stand by the fact that at the very least there could be a software fix as a workaround, but it would be really nice to hear from apple re: this.

I may actually reach out to some reviewers and see if we can get any visibility on this. As many have said, the MBP 16 is great outside of this issue, but since this issue gets in the way of the prominent pro workflows (FCPX, Logic) it would be an incredible stain on Apple to ignore it.

drumstr

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2016
Yes that's exactly what im noticing also. Its oscillating/rhythmic and I have changed sounds and effects and that didn't change anything. I tried out sidecar with my iPad Pro for logic and when connecting it made a loud popping sound and all I did was connect the iPad as a display and no audio playback. I may have to return this or exchange if this isn't fixed soon.

Reactions: g75d3

pmc2k

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2019
I also get these sounds, but I am also getting cracking sounds from my left speaker (especially when the bass hits) from time to time if I listen to music. If this starts I start closing and opening safari etc. and then its gone somehow. I thought this a software problem with Mac OS X but I got these issues with windows (bootcamp) yesterday too. When these cracking sounds start I am also getting some sort of vibration from the speaker. Rly strange and hard to explain. Anyone else got these experience?

morze

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2019
Originally voted "No" but changed it to "Yes", seems a bit random on my system. Wouldn't be surprised if some of the good systems the poll have the issue. Hopefully Apple address this quickly, I was video editing and it was very irritating.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.