Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
(Since this was moved away from the iPhone section, I need to clarify - thread is intended to be from an iPhone user perspective. It was my way of expressing how I embrace success of opposition phone manufacturers & an attempt to encourage others to look at it as a positive, not something to hate or be jealous about).

The fact the latest Samsung is being well received means Apple needs to lift its game once again. & I love that.

There's no hate in me of any phone manufacturer, but instead respect for forcing competitors to keep upping the ante.

Apple needs to improve Siri more than anything imo, because Google Assistant's destroying it on many levels. Apple also needs to kill Maps. Just give me Google Maps in CarPlay & I'll be happy.

Respond, Apple!

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Apple needs to improve Siri more than anything imo, because Google Assistant's destroying it on many levels. Apple also needs to kill Maps. Just give me Google Maps in CarPlay & I'll be happy.

I disree with you about Apple Maps. I don’t know about your geographic location, but Apple Maps is my primary use all the time and it’s been flawless for me. Google maps is great, but that’s a secondary option for me and Apple Maps is much improved over the years. I don’t even use Google maps anymore.

As far as Siri is concerned, it’s always an improving area of concern. But I don’t really use Siri more than anything for asking simple tasks or commands, which it seems to work fairly well for those types of instances. However, Google voice is superior over Siri in providing more relevant searches and is accurate with dictation.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I disree with you about Apple Maps. I don’t know about your geographic location, but Apple Maps is my primary use all the time and it’s been flawless for me. Google maps is great, but that’s a secondary option for me and Apple Maps is much improved over the years. I don’t even use Google maps anymore.
I keep forgetting I even have Apple maps. It’s been hidden in my unused folder for about 5 years. I’m sure it’s improved since its release, but I’ve not needed it with google maps being available. I don’t know why they bothered with it in all honesty.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I keep forgetting I even have Apple maps. It’s been hidden in my unused folder for about 5 years. I’m sure it’s improved since its release, but I’ve not needed it with google maps being available. I don’t know why they bothered with it in all honesty.
Because Apple didn’t want to pay google? Pretty straightforward reason why. Additionally, having their own mapping service is probably helping the autonomous vehicle stuff as well.

I haven’t touched Google Maps since Apple maps became a thing. Never once have I had a problem.

Superrjamz54

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2015
Google refused to give turn by turn directions in Google Maps so Apple created their maps app. Then Google realized they had to step up their game. Google is great in the city, sucks in rural areas.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Because Apple didn’t want to pay google? Pretty straightforward reason why. Additionally, having their own mapping service is probably helping the autonomous vehicle stuff as well.

I haven’t touched Google Maps since Apple maps became a thing. Never once have I had a problem.
I remember that being a reason at the time yeah and it backfired pretty much. To be honest I don’t know anybody who uses Apple Maps here. Google maps is more convenient with regular traffic updates and street view, I just don’t see the point of using anything else personally. The app goes in the folder with stocks and tips for me lol.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I rarely have a need for a maps app, but when I do, my wife uses Waze as my navigator
As far as Siri goes, I hardly ever use it unless I have a quick specific question of curiosity, like "when does daylight savings time begin" or something similiar

Neither Maps nor Siri is a deal maker or breaker for me
And I suspect the majority of iPhone users have minimal needs and requirements as well
I understand there is a subset of phone enthusiasts that crave the latest specs, screens, etc.
But I think they are a minority in the overall phone base

Don't get me wrong, I love advancement and capabilities, but for most casual users they aren't essential

Superrjamz54

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2015
Have you ever tried it in mid wales or Scotland? Or are we on totally different continents?
Live in the US. Googles cars have never made it to a rural area. Their maps can be off by miles. Apple gets their data from TomTom so it’s much more accurate. Google is great for city driving. Both are just as good as each other. It was a much bigger issue when Apple first released their maps app.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
The fact the latest Samsung is being well received means Apple needs to lift its game once again. & I love that.

There's no hate in me of any phone manufacturer, but instead respect for forcing competitors to keep upping the ante.

Respond, Apple!
I wonder if the average Apple user is so concerned.

I told one of my coworkers about the iPhone 8/8+ and the iPhone X when they launched. She's always upgraded her Apple devices and a few months before had gotten an iPhone 7+.

The look on her face when I told her about the new phones was "So what." Verbally she told me "It's going to be a long time before I upgrade."

So, whatever Apple is offering it's not enough to cause someone with a three to four month old iPhone to ditch it for the newer ones. And she could afford to.

I have another coworker who a few months ago bought s Samsung S8 (I think). He has no plans to get the new Samsung phone. He's happy with his current one.

Personally, I don't think any of this matters as much to people as it does us here.

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
I pay zero attention to the so called 'expert' reviews. They post 'as a matter fact' type articles after they've had the phone for an hour. I base my opinions on real world and actual owners of devices.

I visit Android forums all the time and generally always have an Android device, usually a Pixel, but often look through other device forums as well. Visit Samsung forums in about 5 months if you want a true indication of the phone. Most Samsung phones start to bog down after a few months. Samsung forums are loaded to the hilt with complaints about lag.

The hardware is top notch but the Samsung overlay and additions to Android are massive. Bloatware, duplicate services ect.

There is a reason they have to pile so much RAM into their devices and it's not because they want to hook you up. I recently saw benchmarks for the A11 -v- the SD 845 and the A11 demolished it.

If someone digs Samsung then cool beans! My son does and is on the reservation list for an S9. I'd never buy a Samsung phone though. I'd buy a Pixel, a Sony, an LG or an HTC long before I'd consider a Samsung.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010

As far as Siri is concerned, it’s always an improving area of concern. But I don’t really use Siri more than anything for asking simple tasks or commands, which it seems to work fairly well for those types of instances. However, Google voice is superior over Siri in providing more relevant searches and is accurate with dictation.
Apple Maps is still horrible at least when I last used it on my iPhone 7 until September 2017. Especially for navigation purposes. I would rank nav out of the 3 most popular maps on ios would be 1: waze, 2: Google, 3:Apple maps. ( free apps)

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
I pay zero attention to the so called 'expert' reviews. They post 'as a matter fact' type articles after they've had the phone for an hour. I base my opinions on real world and actual owners of devices.

I visit Android forums all the time and generally always have an Android device, usually a Pixel, but often look through other device forums as well. Visit Samsung forums in about 5 months if you want a true indication of the phone. Most Samsung phones start to bog down after a few months. Samsung forums are loaded to the hilt with complaints about lag.

The hardware is top notch but the Samsung overlay and additions to Android are massive. Bloatware, duplicate services ect.

There is a reason they have to pile so much RAM into their devices and it's not because they want to hook you up. I recently saw benchmarks for the A11 -v- the SD 845 and the A11 demolished it.

If someone digs Samsung then cool beans! My son does and is on the reservation list for an S9. I'd never buy a Samsung phone though. I'd buy a Pixel, a Sony, an LG or an HTC long before I'd consider a Samsung.
This regarding reviews.
I can’t count how many times they’ve failed to mention a negative that ended up being an issue. They all sound like they are reading spec sheets and a script.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
I rarely have a need for a maps app, but when I do, my wife uses Waze as my navigator
As far as Siri goes, I hardly ever use it unless I have a quick specific question of curiosity, like "when does daylight savings time begin" or something similiar

Neither Maps nor Siri is a deal maker or breaker for me
And I suspect the majority of iPhone users have minimal needs and requirements as well
I understand there is a subset of phone enthusiasts that crave the latest specs, screens, etc.
But I think they are a minority in the overall phone base

Don't get me wrong, I love advancement and capabilities, but for most casual users they aren't essential
Which is why I went back to using an iPhone for a while. Tbh the deal maker for me with Android is the fact I loved using the S pen on the note series. Other then that I would be fine with an iPhone.

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
This regarding reviews.
I can’t count how many times they’ve failed to mention a negative that ended up being an issue. They all sound like they are reading spec sheets and a script.

Yeah last year all the initial reviews said Bixby was the best thing since sliced bread.. Then actual owners got the S8 and it was a big ole' pile of poo!

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
Yeah last year all the initial reviews said Bixby was the best thing since sliced bread.. Then actual owners got it S8 and it was a big ole' pile of poo!
Really? I saw different reviews then lol. Bixby sucks and Tbh all them sucks. Never really used Siri or Google assistant or Bixby other then for quick simple stuff.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Well I'm more interested in the development of mobile tech & companies pushing their competition to innovate & refine their products.

That's all this is about.

Not intending to compare products.

Reactions: raqball

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
Ok that's surprising given Google's strong lead in this area!

If I remember correctly the Bixby issues were with it never launching and other issues with the button..
Really? I saw different reviews then lol. Bixby sucks and Tbh all them sucks. Never really used Siri or Google assistant or Bixby other then for quick simple stuff.

Google Assistant flat out rocks and demolishes everything else..

My .02

cmiller4642

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2015
As someone who has owned a few Samsung flagships, they're pretty and shiny when you get them home, but once you get some use out of them you're going to see it lag and start to buckle.

If you really want Android get a Pixel 2 XL and go for a stock experience.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Google Assistant is magic. Especially in the car. For eg. You can ask to call any business, even if they're not in your contact list. Or to take you to a location with much more accurate ETA/traffic/re-routing compared to Apple Maps.

Reactions: koigirl and raqball

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
As someone who has owned a few Samsung flagships, they're pretty and shiny when you get them home, but once you get some use out of them you're going to see it lag and start to buckle.

If you really want Android get a Pixel 2 XL and go for a stock experience.
I have my note 8 since release and no lag. I've also had plenty of Samsung phones previously like the s2-s4 and note 3 and 4 so I know of the lag you speak of

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.