Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

splifingate

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
I've been a bit more present in the MR Forums (which is a Good Thing); but, I have generally transcribed my energies into work and other personal activity.

Though I do miss the cornucopia of new ideas, thoughts and general tête-à-tête, I find myself much more productive in all other arenas in my Life.

Systematically hand-deleted every psot and comment, then deleted my account.

My IP does not include an Oh.

Reactions: tweaknmod

Miicat_47

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2022
Europe
I stopped using Reddit when the black out started and have been browsing MacRumours forums since (before I basically didn’t at all)

I also started being more active on mastodon (I found lots of neat people to follow recently)

Reactions: tweaknmod

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Nothing has changed for me. I've always been more active here on MR than anywhere else. On reddit there are only four subreddits I use, one is now dead because the company behind it is dead, two are visited rarely and the last one my activity on has not changed.

I was an infrequent reddit poster anyway.

sjsharksfan12

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA
I stopped using Reddit maybe a week before the Blackout started. I've been using this forum and a Star Trek forum a lot more, even though I still miss going into SF Giants, 49ers, or Sharks reddits and talking about that days' game, especially the Giants.

It was more than the blackout why I left reddit. There were various other issues that were building and it just wasn't fun anymore.

• Love
Reactions: Miicat_47

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I still use reddit, I was never a huge user but there are subs that offer topics that just don't exist in any other format, i.e., forums. If I chose to stop using reddit out of protest, it would be akin to cutting my nose off to spite my face.

Reddit doesn't cost me anything, I just use a browser to access the content and so, the controversy that has enveloped the developers has zero impact on me. to be honest I really don't care

SHIVAKASI

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2023
Yes, fellow Reddit refugee here! I made the switch after the platform's major changes. It's been quite a journey finding a new community, but I'm glad to be here now. Let's make the most of this fresh start and embrace the new opportunities!

scorpio vega

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC
I support the idea behind the blackout but as we saw nothing really changed.

My use on macrumors has definitely increased but I still use Reddit regularly as I did before which is fairly often. Reddit is definitely one of a kind. It’s (for me) less chaotic than a forum as I don’t have to worry about cliques and drama as much. I get the majority of my news from Reddit.

Reactions: Miicat_47

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I deleted my account after what happened to Apollo. I was mostly a reader anyway, didn't really post anything but I have stopped using it completely since then.

I got fairly addicted to Reddit over the last few years. Since deleting my account... my book reading has jumped significantly. Reading a bit more news. Got back into watching a TV show I was meaning to finish on Netflix. I'm out walking again in the mornings listening to several podcasts almost every morning. :p

I do miss it. I got most of my news from Reddit - most of my "hey that's interesting" reading from Reddit too. Oh well.

Currently reading: Atlantic by Simon Winchester - wow what a book. Also reading: The Art of Thinking Clearly by Rolf Dobelli. Next up is To Rule the Waves by Arthur Herman.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I support the idea behind the blackout but as we saw nothing really changed.
I did (do) too. Unfortunately, it was doomed from the start, because volunteers ultimately do not control the platform.

Reddit is just like any other business, management will do what it wishes for it's own purposes. Whether that aligns with public or popular opinion/thoughts isn't relevant to their decisions. There may be some pressure of course, but business will do what it desires.

And however long anyone has volunteered their services, that is not in any way equal to actual ownership.

In short, it doesn't really matter what the mods or subreddit creators think - they don't own the platform.

Aston441

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
MR is one of the last places on the net that hasn't been infested by bots and shills.

Yes, of course there is some shilling here, like anywhere, and if I had to bet, I'd bet that Apple's PR is intertwined in here somehow (though I really have no idea),

...and I think the moderation is a bit heavy handed,

but compared to every other former great gathering place, that has since been consumed by the evils of Xenforo, etc,

this is pretty much the last, great place on the net.

ETA: I just wish Apple would quit being such Dbags, so I could be happy and proud to purchase and use Apple stuff again.

Reactions: compwiz1202

sjsharksfan12

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA
I'm fighting the urge to go back to reddit. While I didn't like the toxicity, it is a nice place to find those niche items and just to do research. For example, I'm trying to find ideas on how to build a home theater area for my office. I know nothing about that (Like if I mount a TV to the wall, where do all my consoles like the blu ray player, apple tv my single homepod go) and I'm just looking for things to give me inspiration. Not just that, but I miss talking about the Giants games (or just bay area sports for that matter). I feel like if I go back, I'm going against the principles of why I left in the first place, but there are a few things I miss.

snash22

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2023
I'm fighting the urge to go back to reddit. While I didn't like the toxicity, it is a nice place to find those niche items and just to do research. For example, I'm trying to find ideas on how to build a home theater area for my office. I know nothing about that (Like if I mount a TV to the wall, where do all my consoles like the blu ray player, apple tv my single homepod go) and I'm just looking for things to give me inspiration. Not just that, but I miss talking about the Giants games (or just bay area sports for that matter). I feel like if I go back, I'm going against the principles of why I left in the first place, but there are a few things I miss.
AVSFORUM has tons of sections about everything Audio/Visual.

Reactions: sjsharksfan12

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
While I didn't like the toxicity, it is a nice place to find those niche items
Yep, that's why I didn't even leave. The fight between the owners, moderators and third party developers had zero impact on my. I don't use those apps and it provides a service that isn't easily replaced.

I will say many subs are veery toxic, but most of the subs I frequent don't seem too bad

Reactions: compwiz1202

sjsharksfan12

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA
Well, I was actually starting to miss talking about various sports and other niche things so I decided on Monday Night to create a new account on Reddit. I was posting, trying to manage the whole you have to wait 10 minutes between each post, but then yesterday I found out my new account was shadowbanned, which was the reason why I wasn't getting upvotes or anything like that. I appealed it and even sent an email and still haven't gotten a response yet. I get the feeling Reddit doesn't want me using their site, so I guess I've turned from Reddit refugee to Reddit Exile. You want to do things the right way and the admins already believe you to be guilty before you even have a chance to explain yourself. It reminds me of when the Netflix banned me from posting on their subreddit because I posted in another subreddit they didn't like.

I also deleted the new account. Not sure if that was a good idea or not, but if I can't use the site it was worthless.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I found out my new account was shadowbanned
Why do you think? Given what I've read where people create new accounts to be anonymous, I didn't think it was against the rules for having multiple accounts.

Was this shadowban temporary or permanent? I've really not run afoul of any rules, other then the mods deleting my posts. I'm not terribly active on reddit, but I do interact with a number of subs that provide support, insight and help on various topics

sjsharksfan12

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA
Why do you think? Given what I've read where people create new accounts to be anonymous, I didn't think it was against the rules for having multiple accounts.

Was this shadowban temporary or permanent? I've really not run afoul of any rules, other then the mods deleting my posts. I'm not terribly active on reddit, but I do interact with a number of subs that provide support, insight and help on various topics

I don't know. They say to prevent spammers, but if I deleted my old account it no longer exists. How do I have multiple accounts if the old account no longer exists? I started to wonder if it was an IP thing. I never did get a response to my email (When I went under the contact us thing) and I deleted the account without finding out an appeal response. I thought I would get one sometime Tuesday Night and that never happened.

Reactions: maflynn

Aston441

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
Well, I was actually starting to miss talking about various sports and other niche things so I decided on Monday Night to create a new account on Reddit. I was posting, trying to manage the whole you have to wait 10 minutes between each post, but then yesterday I found out my new account was shadowbanned, which was the reason why I wasn't getting upvotes or anything like that. I appealed it and even sent an email and still haven't gotten a response yet. I get the feeling Reddit doesn't want me using their site, so I guess I've turned from Reddit refugee to Reddit Exile. You want to do things the right way and the admins already believe you to be guilty before you even have a chance to explain yourself. It reminds me of when the Netflix banned me from posting on their subreddit because I posted in another subreddit they didn't like.

I also deleted the new account. Not sure if that was a good idea or not, but if I can't use the site it was worthless.
I ditched Reddit many years ago when they started shadowbanning. How evil can you get😂

At least here on MR, when I catch a temp ban (which is happening a LOT lately), they let me know about it. I expect pretty soon I'll have a permaban. That's fine, I'll just give up. I spend less than an hour a day on the net lately anyway. The shine wore off long ago. It's more or less completely controlled by megabankcorp now. Real life is tremendously more effort, but far more rewarding.

ETA: who I feel really bad for, are the severely disabled, who can't just jump off the net and back into real life. The free net had been a godsend to them. How awful to have no real alternative to the completely controlled net.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.