Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BotchQue

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 22, 2019
I've been on this forum for about 7 years or so now. At that time my original Macbook Air was on its last legs, and I religiously kept up with the "Rumors" of a 15" (or larger) Macbook Air. I'm 6'5", 240 lbs, with a 37" inseam, so my "lap" has considerable girth, not enough to support a Kardashian but my 13" Air was always slipping down between my legs, rather irritating; I was really hoping for a new, larger model.
I finally gave up after three years of "rumored" larger models, and bought a base-model 16" MBPro. Overkill for what I use it for, but with the screen clarity and great audio, I have no regrets for the higher-cost purchase.
Since then, I don't ever click on "predictions" or "rumors" about upcoming AppleToys; I just wait for the semi-annual Events and get pleasantly surprised, or Not.
Anyone else do this?

(not trying to denigrate this site; I still get a ton of good info/help here!)

• Love
Reactions: chabig

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
I discovered MacRunors in like 2018 when I bought my new (at the time) computer. I was looking at stuff related to macOS updates and such, but not about new hardware. I noticed in 2020 MacRumors was covering the disaster that was macOS Catalina, so I avoided upgrading, blah, blah, blah...

When I joined the forum in 2022, I immediately STOPPED looking at the news articles, and this still holds true. I started to notice that the leakers were becoming (or already were??) less and less accurate. Look, we've been hearing about this OLED iPad for like how long now? And it STILL hasn't come out. I've effectively given up on looking at what the leakers have to say.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

floral

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2023
Earth
Look, we've been hearing about this OLED iPad for like how long now? And it STILL hasn't come out. I've effectively given up on looking at what the leakers have to say.
Honestly, I can't spot the difference between OLED and normal LED, so if one of those iPads started selling, I wouldn't jump at the offer...

Reactions: rm5

BotchQue

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 22, 2019
Are you getting the Z mount?
I assume you're talking about the Nikons; I wasn't going to, I've got so much money in my F-mount lenses, I'd hate to "start over" at my age.
But.... I've seen videos of how well the new Z9 firmware update focus-tracks on a bird's eye, and dayam....

Reactions: sack_peak

sack_peak

Suspended
Sep 3, 2023
Honestly, I can't spot the difference between OLED and normal LED, so if one of those iPads started selling, I wouldn't jump at the offer...
Other than the visual AMOLED displays allows for thinner devices.

When the display is showing black it reduces power consumption.

sack_peak

Suspended
Sep 3, 2023
Oh. So around +1 to 2 hours battery life...?
Compared to an iPhones with an iPS display.

Every bit helps. That obsessive kaizen approach to iPhone design improves performance per watt while improving raw performance and power consumption.

That tech R&D was applied to the Mac hence the crazy difference between 2014-2020 Intel 14nm CPUs separate from other ICs to 2020-2023 Apple Silicon 5nm System on a Chip.

My year model 22nm iMac is turning 11 years next week and @picpicmac 45nm iMac is turning 15 years... if a iMac 32" M3 between $1799 to $7399 came out within 12 months we'd be jumping to one with a 3nm chip.

We'd likely enjoy a magnitudes more raw performance at 50-67% the power consumption of our old beaters.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I've been on this forum for about 7 years or so now. At that time my original Macbook Air was on its last legs, and I religiously kept up with the "Rumors" of a 15" (or larger) Macbook Air. I'm 6'5", 240 lbs, with a 37" inseam, so my "lap" has considerable girth, not enough to support a Kardashian but my 13" Air was always slipping down between my legs, rather irritating; I was really hoping for a new, larger model.
I finally gave up after three years of "rumored" larger models, and bought a base-model 16" MBPro. Overkill for what I use it for, but with the screen clarity and great audio, I have no regrets for the higher-cost purchase.
Since then, I don't ever click on "predictions" or "rumors" about upcoming AppleToys; I just wait for the semi-annual Events and get pleasantly surprised, or Not.
Anyone else do this?

(not trying to denigrate this site; I still get a ton of good info/help here!)
The rumours, and predictions, no, and never really did (apart from a very brief flush of enthusiasm when I first joined the site as I had just switched to Apple computers).

These days, for that matter, I rarely follow the actual "Events".

However, I do read reviews - closely, preferably from reputable and respected sources - of recently released products that may be of interest to me.

Reactions: rm5
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.