Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SShayymiiinXYZ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2017
Canada
i wanted to run a .exe file since i got a mac
i tried downloading Wine 1.3 or 1.4
Tried a VM but i didn't have a ISO file of windows
i didn't have Boot Camp
IS THERE ANY OTHER WAY?

(BTW IF YOU CAN GIVE ME A DOWNLOAD TO WINE 1.3 OR 1.4 THAT WOULD BE APPREICIATED):)
Picture 1.png

[doublepost=1486867424][/doublepost]im new to the forms :/

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
There's several methods to run a windows app (.exe) on a Mac.
Use Boot Camp, VirtualBox, Parallels Desktop, CrossOver Mac, or similar software.

Boot Camp is OS X software that supports installing Windows in a separate partition on your Mac. You will need to update to Leopard or higher to do that. You also need to have a Windows .iso to install Windows on that partition. You boot to that partition, so your Mac is completely in Windows when you need Windows.

Parallels or VMWare Fusion let you run Windows apps by supporting the installation of Windows, and using Windows as an app, in its own window on your Mac while OS X is running. Windows runs as a "virtual machine". Both are commercial software that you purchase. You also need a Windows .iso for that, too.
Virtual Box is another VM app, but is free. You still need a Windows .iso with Virtual Box.

CrossOver is an OS X app that allows you to run Windows apps. Again, not free software, but you don't need a Windows .iso with CrossOver. It is somewhat limited in that not every Windows app is supported, and some are supported but with limitations.

You may struggle with ANY of these options, if you continue to use Tiger. There will be better options if you can upgrade your OS X to something newer. Your Mac Core 2 Duo can upgrade to Lion (OS X 10.7.5), and the RAM can also be upgraded some, probably to 3GB, depending on which Mac you actually have (you didn't say iMac or MacBook Pro, or which one)

SShayymiiinXYZ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2017
Canada
There's several methods to run a windows app (.exe) on a Mac.
Use Boot Camp, VirtualBox, Parallels Desktop, CrossOver Mac, or similar software.

Boot Camp is OS X software that supports installing Windows in a separate partition on your Mac. You will need to update to Leopard or higher to do that. You also need to have a Windows .iso to install Windows on that partition. You boot to that partition, so your Mac is completely in Windows when you need Windows.

Parallels or VMWare Fusion let you run Windows apps by supporting the installation of Windows, and using Windows as an app, in its own window on your Mac while OS X is running. Windows runs as a "virtual machine". Both are commercial software that you purchase. You also need a Windows .iso for that, too.
Virtual Box is another VM app, but is free. You still need a Windows .iso with Virtual Box.

CrossOver is an OS X app that allows you to run Windows apps. Again, not free software, but you don't need a Windows .iso with CrossOver. It is somewhat limited in that not every Windows app is supported, and some are supported but with limitations.

You may struggle with ANY of these options, if you continue to use Tiger. There will be better options if you can upgrade your OS X to something newer. Your Mac Core 2 Duo can upgrade to Lion (OS X 10.7.5), and the RAM can also be upgraded some, probably to 3GB, depending on which Mac you actually have (you didn't say iMac or MacBook Pro, or which one)
iMac

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Again, your iMac can be upgraded to a newer version of OS X, probably to Lion (Mac OS X 10.7.5), which will help decide what direction you want to go with Windows. You WILL need a Windows .iso used to install Windows with most forms of using Windows on your Mac - unless your particular needs in Windows are supported by Crossover.

For example, you can still purchase Snow Leopard (OS X 10.6.3) directly from Apple. I recommend upgrading to a minimum of Snow Leopard, as that will give you access to other Windows options that are more up-to-date. Once you get THERE, you can then upgrade to Lion, which is likely the newest system you can run. You will then have the Boot Camp software in the most updated form, already installed as part of the system. You will probably be limited to Windows 7 with that configuration, although you should be able to update install Windows 10.
That's just an example of a method to get Windows on your Mac, among several.

Last edited:
Reactions: SShayymiiinXYZ

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
It should also be noted that unless you enjoy reinstalling Windows periodically you will need a license for Windows to be legal if you go the route of an ISO to install a BootCamp or VM of Windows.

SShayymiiinXYZ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2017
Canada
Again, your iMac can be upgraded to a newer version of OS X, probably to Lion (Mac OS X 10.7.5), which will help decide what direction you want to go with Windows. You WILL need a Windows .iso used to install Windows with most forms of using Windows on your Mac - unless your particular needs in Windows are supported by Crossover.

For example, you can still purchase Snow Leopard (OS X 10.6.3) directly from Apple. I recommend upgrading to a minimum of Snow Leopard, as that will give you access to other Windows options that are more up-to-date. Once you get THERE, you can then upgrade to Lion, which is likely the newest system you can run. You will then have the Boot Camp software in the most updated form, already installed as part of the system. You will probably be limited to Windows 7 with that configuration, although you should be able to update install Windows 10.
That's just an example of a method to get Windows on your Mac, among several.
okay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.