Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

franmatt80

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 11, 2010
I'm just about to start my PhD in Education and wondered if anyone out there could recommend me some good apps for collecting research, storing journals, writing papers etc. I've done a quick google but just find Evernote, todo apps and the dodgy Papers app each time. Any other tips? Thanks

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
I never really felt the iPad was suited for that kind of work - At least, I only ended up using mine for todo list, presentation note taking and PDF reading. Everything was just so much more efficient on a computer. And that's my research experience over the last 5 years.

If you had your iPad with you everywhere, it may be useful as a lab book, but in my experience, it wasn't really suited for it either, since you always end up with data that is either cumbersome to input, or doesn't render correctly using whatever apps you have, or is just plain awful to manipulate using the same apps.

PDFs and notes, awesome. Everything else, forget it.

Edit: I used Evernote and Papers. And I am really trying for an alternative to Papers, but so far the only alternative is Readcube, but they are waaaaay behind in features. Fortunately, they at least have a developer team that seems to respond to user requests.

WordsmithMR

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2015
Murica
I believe Scrivener was supposed to be working on an iPad app... Would be something to look into... Especially if it syncs with the Mac OS X version... That would be awesome. Other than that, Evernote is the one I would've recommended but I don't think you like that one (Or even the new Notes+Pages) I prefer Evernote though even though you will definitely need a subscription if you're using it for PDF files.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
I believe Scrivener was supposed to be working on an iPad app... Would be something to look into... Especially if it syncs with the Mac OS X version... That would be awesome.
They are, but it won't be released until next year. It will use Dropbox to sync with the Mac/Windows versions.

Readcube does not support Scrivener at the moment, for inserting citations.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.