Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imrazor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Dol Amroth
I've got an old iPhone 5s that served me well for many years. Among its virtues are Touch ID, a headphone jack, excellent sound quality and a real, physical home button (still trying to wrap my head -- fingers? -- around swipe gestures.) But it will shortly be obsolete, making me wonder if there are any useful functions it could serve.

The obvious use case is as an iPod, with possible emergency use as a phone with a SIM swap. Can I just drop the SIM card in from my iPhone XR? I wonder how much a 2nd line from T-mobile with a modest data allotment would cost.

Hmm, maybe I could keep it in the car to drive CarPlay. How well would the battery and electronics stand up to baking in the Alabama sun, or below freezing temps in winter? It does have a 3rd party battery in it, but was upgraded a little over 2 years ago.

I'm sure I'm missing some possibilities. Any thoughts?

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
USA
I would look into having it serve as both an iPod and a mini Siri/HomePod. I own two iPhone XR models with one being the “home” phone and the other being the “mobile” phone - different set of apps for each. The Home phone serves as my Siri/HomePod and is mounted in a wall box in the living room.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.