Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dcsmith9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2024
Hello MacRumors,

Thanks for all the help over the years. Quick question: I'm about to start traveling more for work, and the two iPads in the house are old and have been taken over by two little girls. I want to get something for planes (use it for games, movies, email from right after boarding through de-planing) and would use it as a web surfer/game player at home also. Have a 14" MBP that's a little over two years old I think.

I typically get way into waiting for the next release and making sure I'm getting the best bang for the buck, future-proofing, etc. Sounds like maybe an iPad event in the next couple months - but maybe only Air/Pro? Considering my pretty basic use case (is Civ VI considered a hardware intensive game on tablet?), should I wait and see what happens with the spring event or just drop in? Best Buy has the 10th gen on sale for $349 (64GB) or $499 (256GB) and those seem like pretty good prices. I'll likely get a Logitech Combo Touch and call it good.

What do you think MR? Pull the trigger now and not sweat the event, or wait and see what comes out of the event? If the Air was leaps and bounds better for my use case (does that better screen work better in the uneven lighting on planes?), maybe I'd be more inclined to see what happens at the event. This sale just popped up as I decided I was definitely getting a new tablet in the near future, so I'm a little less inclined to wait and just go for it. Thanks for the tips!

Not to muddy the waters, but curious about this too: if AirPods 3 were a 1 at noise cancelling on airplanes, and Bose over the ears were a 10, where would the AirPod Pros slot in? I can use my wife's over the ears (kinda girly color scheme) or I'll buy the Pros or some OTEs for myself. Any thoughts on that for plane rides would be cool. I like the idea of not lugging around big headphones, but I also want decent ANC for the actual flight.

kitKAC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2022
As always, if you need [insert product name here] now, then buy it. If not, then wait.

I can't speak to headphone recommendations.

Reactions: Mr. Jenkins

geta

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2010
The Moon
Thats a great deal, and for your needs should be more then fine. But if you dont need it now, wait.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.