Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
If a developer distributes their app as an Intel app, Apple Silicon app, and a Universal app...would there be any reason to choose the Universal app over the Intel or Apple Silicon app?

I went to go download Visual Studio Code the other day, and this tripped me up for a bit. I understand the differences between them all, but just thought it was interesting that they offered all three kinds rather than just the Universal app or the separate Intel and Apple Silicon apps.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
You have a mix of Macs (Silicon and Intel) on which you wish to install and basically want the downloading version of 2 birds with 1 stone? Download once, install on all.

Maybe developer only offers it as a Universal package and thus it is the sole option if you want that app?

Something like Visual Studio might be downloaded for rooms full of mixed Macs, so the IT person can download it one time and install on all of the Macs in the building.

Last edited:
Reactions: chown33
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.