Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Drag'nGT

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
In the process of deciding to upgrade my iPhone I’ve come across an issue and it’s the desire or need to keep my grandfathered AT&T unlimited plan from 2008. To participate in the current trade in deal or the combo deal of AT&T wireless & internet (which I have as well). I’d have to give up the plan.

Is it still worth keeping the old plan? They have raised the price on it until I’m paying about the same as any other unlimited plan they or VZW offer.

Once upon a time I saw people selling them on eBay but that seems to be a thing of the past and sort of an indication that they aren’t as desirable as they once were.

Would love to hear from some others who have kept theirs or gave them up and why.

tis

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2020
The main issue you should be considering, is the fact that ATT’s trade in deal requires you agree to a three year contract. That in itself would make me look elsewhere.

adam1080

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2012
I fought giving up mine for a long time.

The list of reasons was long and it ended up being cheaper for me leave it behind.

I would not consider signing a 3 year contract for a “free” phone however.

Mr. Jenkins

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2021
The main issue you should be considering, is the fact that ATT’s trade in deal requires you agree to a three year contract. That in itself would make me look elsewhere.
I think that depends on the person's habits. I'm not one to get new phones that often. I like to use my phones "until the wheels fall off." I'm on AT&T. I understand everyone hasn't had the same experience, but I can honestly say that I've never had a problem with AT&T so it's not likely that I would switch carriers and I usually keep my phones for around 3 years. I use an iPhone X now that I've had for nearly 4 years, and before that an iPhone 6 that I used for 3 years. A 3 year contract is okay with me.

If being locked in with a carrier for 3 years fits one's habits, it's becomes a solid deal.

Reactions: phillytim

titoaida2078

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2020
I’m on a T-Mobile unlimited plan -grandfathered in like yourself with ATT.
I am considering ditching it for something cheaper because I don’t use anywhere near enough data to justify paying more for the unlimited plan I have.

If it’s feasible pay full price minus trade in and you can use your phone on any carrier even prepaid/mvno

Reactions: tis

Mr. Jenkins

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2021
If the goal is to replace your grandfathered unlimited plan with one of the current unlimited plans, I'd say that it's all about the price. If the price of a current unlimited plan is lower than your grandfathered ulimited plan, make the switch and if you're sure you want to pull the trigger on the 3 year deal, go for it.

Last edited:

Mr. Jenkins

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2021
If it’s feasible pay full price minus trade in and you can use your phone on any carrier even prepaid/mvno
As far as I've seen out of all the promotional deals among the carriers and Apple, Apple appears to be the only one that you can pay full price less the trade-in value and you can also do an installment plan on top of the trade in if you choose (and if you're approved).

trek360

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2011
I finally gave up the 2008 grandfathered unlimited plan last year. With all the price increases it just wasn’t worth it anymore. Now have two lines on two of the different current unlimited plans and wouldn’t otherwise know the difference from the old grandfathered one. Except I’m paying less and getting more features now including hotspot data and HBO max. I would make the switch for that alone.

Whether you want to be tied in for 36 months with the trade in promotion is another story. I did not think that was worth it, although they are giving more than you will get elsewhere. If you don’t upgrade often and plan to stay with ATT, I think it’s reasonable to consider.

Reactions: Dstopsie

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Probably not worth it so much now. I’m on a grandfathered TMobile plan. It was a great deal for a long time. But looking at plans this year. Not so much.

Especially given my data usage. I could actually save money with a new prepaid plan. So might jump ship soon to a limited plan. As I don’t use a quarter of the high speed data a limited plan offers.

Drag'nGT

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
I fought giving up mine for a long time.

The list of reasons was long and it ended up being cheaper for me leave it behind.

I would not consider signing a 3 year contract for a “free” phone however.
Well, I’m comfortable with a 2yr cycle time. The option to do the next plan has the better math and let’s me upgrade at 18-24 months if I choose to (and I will). This year AT&T doesn’t seem to be offering me any other options even through retentions. They refuse to even take $500 off the phone and let me sign a 2yr contract.

Dstopsie

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
LOS ANGELES BABY!!
Well, I’m comfortable with a 2yr cycle time. The option to do the next plan has the better math and let’s me upgrade at 18-24 months if I choose to (and I will). This year AT&T doesn’t seem to be offering me any other options even through retentions. They refuse to even take $500 off the phone and let me sign a 2yr contract.
I’ve been an AT&T customer since 1997 prior to ATT even buying pacific bell wireless which became cingular wireless. I had a grandfathered plan that I got rid of a few years ago and the cost was just too much to retain it and I wasn’t getting that many features with it. So I got rid of it I’m on one of their signature plans and I have the hotspot HBO max unlimited talk, text, and data and I pay 100 bucks a month. I probably could do better but my work reimburses me for $85 of that plan. As for the phone I would get the phone every year and do it on one of their installment plans. first it was I think 24 months then it went up to 30 months now this year it was at 36 months and I just ended up buying the phone out right paying for it in full this year. What I do is say every year will pay off the installment plan so I can upgrade my phone and then sell my phone for the cost to the pay off of my installment plan. But this year I did not want any installment plan payment so I just paid for the phone in full on my Apple credit card got $45 back on that purchase and just will pay it off with no interest. It’s just not worth having a grandfather plan anymore so I got rid of mine

yukari

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
I've been on AT&T for over a ten year now - with NO annual contract.
So getting a free phone and signing up for a three year contract was a no brainer.

If worst comes to worst, I can payoff the remaining balance and change the carrier. But given my past experience, that isn't likely to happen.

Reactions: jhearty99

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
Not sure what the perk was on grandfathered plans but the latest Elite plan you get truly unlimited data with no throttling and HBO Max or your choice of something free included in the plan.

Reactions: jhearty99

jhearty99

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
Long Island, NY
I've been on AT&T for over a ten year now - with NO annual contract.
So getting a free phone and signing up for a three year contract was a no brainer.

If worst comes to worst, I can payoff the remaining balance and change the carrier. But given my past experience, that isn't likely to happen.

It always makes me wonder how often people switch carriers when they say a deal is awful because you have to commit for a certain period of time.

OrneryTaurus

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2021
California
I've been with AT&T for a long time and was in a similar situation up until I changed last year. The newer unlimited plan was actually $40 cheaper than the plan I had due to corporate discounts being eligible again. Whether the trade in deal is worth it to you or not, entirely up to you. As far as the older unlimited plan vs the current one? Definitely worth it to me.

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
If I was in the market for a new phone, I would just buy unlocked from Apple either in full or monthly and just sign up for ATT's elite plan. you save on activation fees and crap ATT throws at you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.