Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robertosh

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 2, 2011
Switzerland
I'm thinking in updating my very old home studio setup and I'm heavily thinking in having a Windows-based system. My main reasons:

- For only the price of the Mac studio I want (3200: M1 Max, 64G, 2T) I can buy a PC with with a Ryzen 9 5950X with similar 1core performance [0] and better multi-core (16c). Plus, I can have double of RAM (128G) + the screen I want (Dell U4021QW) in the pack. This screen plus the Studio will be 4900.
- ARM transition has been really slow on the audio world, vast majority plugins still run via compatibility layer and I doubt that they will be re-written at some point.
- Multiple problems still reported regarding M1 and external screens / connectivity
- macOS is not as stable as it was in the past, I'm not enjoying it since long time already.
- Typical PC benefits, expandability and not just an immutable expensive brick.

Now, obviously I don't know how the things are in the Windows audio world, so it would be nice to get some advise of someone that tried this and succeeded (or failed). Just to mention that I'm not living from this, so is just a home studio for personal and free-time projects.

Thanks!

[0] https://cpu-benchmark.org/compare/apple-m1-max/amd-ryzen-9-5950x/

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
If you're going from Mac to PC, depending on the software, there's the initial, upfront cost of having to buy the Windows version, and converting any projects you have. Since I don't know the details of your setup, I don't know how much time & money that'll take. But use the right tool for the right job. If that tool is a PC, more power to you.

Reactions: robertosh

robertosh

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 2, 2011
Switzerland
If you're going from Mac to PC, depending on the software, there's the initial, upfront cost of having to buy the Windows version, and converting any projects you have. Since I don't know the details of your setup, I don't know how much time & money that'll take. But use the right tool for the right job. If that tool is a PC, more power to you.

Yes, something that I forgot to mention is that I'm a Logic user, which of course it will require to change the DAW, learn a new one, but I'm not too worried about that. I'm not an Logic expert either and I've used other DAWs in the past. For the old projects, I will try to keep my old Mac in case I need some editing but my idea is just export individual tracks which is something that I normally do in any case (opening old projects is always a mess independently of the ecosystem: expired licenses, end of support of plugins, etc)

nebojsak

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2014
Belgrade, Serbia
Yes, something that I forgot to mention is that I'm a Logic user, which of course it will require to change the DAW, learn a new one, but I'm not too worried about that. I'm not an Logic expert either and I've used other DAWs in the past. For the old projects, I will try to keep my old Mac in case I need some editing but my idea is just export individual tracks which is something that I normally do in any case (opening old projects is always a mess independently of the ecosystem: expired licenses, end of support of plugins, etc)

I personally recommend Reaper. Highly efficient CPU-wise (runs on 10+ years old laptops without a hiccup), cheap (60$ and with permanent trial mode if you wish) and perfectly suitable even for professional use. Also, there are tons of great free plugins around.

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013

Logic is the only DAW (among the usual suspects) that gets updated without you requiring to purchase a new version.
Any money saved on hardware will soon be spent in software.

Cubase Pro is almost $600 (plus paid updates almost yearly)
Pro Tools is on subscription for approx $200 yearly
Reaper is your best option price wise, but not on a par with Logic IMO.

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013
For only the price of the Mac studio I want (3200: M1 Max, 64G, 2T) I can buy a PC…

By the way, I should also add that unless you are a very demanding professional user, probably making a lot of money out of your trade, these specs might turn out to be a tad over the top.
I have seen people running extremely complex projects in professional settings on M1 minis with 16GB.

nebojsak

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2014
Belgrade, Serbia
Reaper is your best option price wise, but not on a par with Logic IMO.

Apart from lacking sound banks and stuff (software instruments), Reaper is full blown professional tool. If you're going to record professionally in a real studio, you'll record on real equipment (mic'd drums, basses, guitars, vocals, with real synths and stuff). Logic sound library is great and handy for demoing, but -regarding pure recording tools- it all goes down to DAW and real mixer.

robertosh

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 2, 2011
Switzerland
I personally recommend Reaper. Highly efficient CPU-wise (runs on 10+ years old laptops without a hiccup), cheap (60$ and with permanent trial mode if you wish) and perfectly suitable even for professional use. Also, there are tons of great free plugins around.
Thanks, it was one of the ones I wanted to try. As there is Mac version will check it out !

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
Thanks, it was one of the ones I wanted to try. As there is Mac version will check it out !
Tell us how it went. Personally, I am Logic paid user and just assembled Intel i9 10850, 32GB RAM Asus Z490 hackintosh, having very stable workstation on Catalina. In addition, there are Mac Mini M1 and MBA for native work on Monterey (which I don't find that stable as you mentioned).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.