Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sjl

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 15, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
Having discovered a new way to make a 1.25 GHz PowerBook slow to a crawl (put a 1 GB Sandisk CF card in a PCMCIA adapter, plug it in, and transfer 1 GB of images across), I'm in the market for a CF card reader. Having a preference for firewire over USB when it comes to large data transfers, I have (it would appear) two choices locally: one from DataFab, and one from Lexar.

Anybody have any experience with either of those? I'd not expect there to be a great deal to it by and large, but still, it's nice to know that I'm not likely to be buying a lemon. ;) It'll also help when I get the money together for a faster CF card. (Extreme III would be nice, but I suspect I'll end up with Ultra 2. Oh well.)

Thanks.

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
sjl said:
Having discovered a new way to make a 1.25 GHz PowerBook slow to a crawl (put a 1 GB Sandisk CF card in a PCMCIA adapter, plug it in, and transfer 1 GB of images across), I'm in the market for a CF card reader. Having a preference for firewire over USB when it comes to large data transfers, I have (it would appear) two choices locally: one from DataFab, and one from Lexar.

Anybody have any experience with either of those? I'd not expect there to be a great deal to it by and large, but still, it's nice to know that I'm not likely to be buying a lemon. ;) It'll also help when I get the money together for a faster CF card. (Extreme III would be nice, but I suspect I'll end up with Ultra 2. Oh well.)

Thanks.

I've had no problems with the basic SanDisk USB2.0 CF reader, and all I use are Lexar CF cards :p

It's only $20 at Staples and many other retailers, and while it's not FW it transfers very fast and consistently compared to a cheapy I used (which actually fluctuated in xfer speed). If you really feel the need for a FW one, I'd get either Lexar or SanDisk branded readers. I've read more issues with third-party readers than with either of those....and both work well with the other's CF cards :)

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
jelloshotsrule said:
i've heard good things about the lacie 8 in 1 media reader (usb 2) and i plan to pick one up shortly.

That should be good since it's about twice as expensive as the same thing from other manufacturers.

Mind you, I use it for only a couple hundred 3.3-4.0 MB images at a time, but I use either Stratitec or SimpleTech USB 2.0 readers, or the one in my Epson all-in-one, if I'm home.

All transfer reasonably quickly and, while there could be USB conflicts, I've not had trouble with the card readers.

sjl

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 15, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
efoto said:
I've had no problems with the basic SanDisk USB2.0 CF reader, and all I use are Lexar CF cards :p

It's only $20 at Staples and many other retailers, and while it's not FW it transfers very fast and consistently compared to a cheapy I used (which actually fluctuated in xfer speed). If you really feel the need for a FW one, I'd get either Lexar or SanDisk branded readers. I've read more issues with third-party readers than with either of those....and both work well with the other's CF cards :)
Heh. I'm happy with my SanDisk CF cards, although I do need to get some faster ones down the road. :p

Thanks for the tip ... looks like it'll be either a USB Sandisk reader, or the Lexar FW reader. Much appreciate it. Where'd I put that credit card ... (and for the record, pricing from somebody in the US isn't much good to me, given that I'm in Australia. :D )

Rocky3478

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2005
efoto said:

Seconded. It's the best one for the price. Plus, that's what I have, and it works really fast and well! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.