Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SW3029

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 22, 2019
I'm looking for a vertical sleeve for the 15-inch MacBook Air. I like vertical sleeves because you can just slip them into your backpack and remove the MacBook from the sleeve without having to take the actual sleeve out of the backpack, too.

But now I notice most sleeves online are horizontal with zippers.

Does anyone know of any makers of vertical sleeves?

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016

Hello, I'm KaliYoni and I'm a bag addict.
;-)

Seriously, now, two companies I like that make vertical sleeves are Topo Designs and Timbuk2. I own many bags, acquired over multiple years, from each of them. Unfortunately, both seem to be out of stock in the US on sleeves that would fit a 15" laptop but perhaps this is a temporary, between-seasons situation. Anyway, my main sleeve is currently the Topo. I like it because it's minimalist yet nicely padded.

Last edited:
Reactions: Viridian5

MikeDr206

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2021
I don’t have an MBA 15, but have been thinking about getting one, so I’ve been researching sleeves. There is an odd dearth in available sleeves specifically made for the MBA 15. Some people suggest using an MBP 14 sleeve (which would strike me as too tight).

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Years ago I bought a rather pricy leather vertical sleeve from Woolnut for an old MacBook Pro I had. The laptop is gone, but I still use the sleeve every day and it's held up beautifully. My current M1 Air swims in it a bit, but I don't mind. Provided I don't start buying much larger laptops I think it should last for quite some time.

Reactions: outlawarth

Will Cover

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2019
I'm looking for a vertical sleeve for the 15-inch MacBook Air. I like vertical sleeves because you can just slip them into your backpack and remove the MacBook from the sleeve without having to take the actual sleeve out of the backpack, too.

The best sleeve I found was by a company called ACME Made. I don't think they are still in business today, but you may be able to find some on eBay.

I'm a huge fan of ANDAR. Not a sleeve, but a very well-designed, and constructed case that protects your computer, without adding much weight. And they're all made out of real cowhide.

GLS

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2010
I picked up this leather sleeve off of Etsy for my 13" air about a year ago. There are several different sellers to choose from. It was $40 or so. This particular seller didn't offer a vertical option, but I noticed others do.

sleeve1.jpg

outlawarth

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2011
Years ago I bought a rather pricy leather vertical sleeve from Woolnut for an old MacBook Pro I had. The laptop is gone, but I still use the sleeve every day and it's held up beautifully. My current M1 Air swims in it a bit, but I don't mind. Provided I don't start buying much larger laptops I think it should last for quite some time.
Can you Woolnut fans confirm if the zipper could potentially scratch the sides of the laptop? I love the way it looks but am a little reluctant.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA

I can't recommend them enough. I've purchased from them a handful of times. A bit longer turnaround for me since they are in Netherlands, but the quality is top notch and they are very nice people as well. Just a small company who really takes care of their customers. Expensive but 100% worth it.

MikeDr206

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2021
Just curious as to why people like vertical sleeves better than horizontal... I've always used horizontal.

jmoore5196

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2009
Russellville AR
I haven't looked to see if Harber London is making a 15" MBA sleeve, but I can't imagine they've missed it. If you're willing to spend the money, their sleeves are top-notch in both materials and quality. I have three of them - one for my M1 MBA, another for my M2 MBA, and a third for my 16" MBP. Wonderful products.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Can you Woolnut fans confirm if the zipper could potentially scratch the sides of the laptop? I love the way it looks but am a little reluctant.
No zipper on mine, but zippers I've seen on sleeves like this (and indeed on most garments) have a fabric shield covering the inside.

Reactions: outlawarth

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
I have a Waterfield, it's excellent!
Actually one of the things I missed the most about the old 11" MacBook Air was that I had this great little heavily padded Waterfield sleeve for it. That same sleeve served two or three of that same MacBook and never looked the worse for wear.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Just curious as to why people like vertical sleeves better than horizontal... I've always used horizontal.
It depends on what bag I'm using. My backpack fits the laptop vertically, so I can leave the sleeve in place and slide out the MacBook as needed. Sometimes I use a briefcase that's oriented horizontally and use a different sleeve in there. Generally, the sleeve stays with the bag it lives in and the laptop gets moved around.

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
I'll be buying a cheap one off Amazon.

Either this

or this

• Wow
Reactions: ignatius345

EsbenMF

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2022
It depends on what bag I'm using. My backpack fits the laptop vertically, so I can leave the sleeve in place and slide out the MacBook as needed. Sometimes I use a briefcase that's oriented horizontally and use a different sleeve in there. Generally, the sleeve stays with the bag it lives in and the laptop gets moved around.
That's exactly how I use my Waterfield. It's closed in the top by magnets sewn into the fabric in the whole width of the sleve.

u2u2

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2015
GTA

I can't recommend them enough. I've purchased from them a handful of times. A bit longer turnaround for me since they are in Netherlands, but the quality is top notch and they are very nice people as well. Just a small company who really takes care of their customers. Expensive but 100% worth it.
I also give Joli very high praise. Bought one for my 14" M1 MBP a couple of years ago and that case is now protecting my 14" M3 MBP. Still looks as good as new. The smooth waxed leather is a treat and the lining and stitching are top of the class. In the process of upgrading an M1 MBA to a 15" M3 MBA for the spouse. Delivery is two weeks away so I just ordered a Joli for it. Threw in a case for her phone as well. They will arrive about the same date as the MBA. Pricey and a small delay as they build to order but all in all totally worth it.

ernestooo

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2020
Incase icon has been my all time favourite.
Vertical, good padding, protected edged/corners, soft interior, magnetic closing.
The only thing I miss is a handle to carry it

dloreski

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2009

Waterfield makes THE best sleeves and cases.
My 2012 11" Air is in their sleeve and I got one for my new M2.
The 2012 shows zero wear!

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
I personally cannot justify an expensive sleeve for my laptop. To me it’s a purely utilitarian item that I only use in certain situations. If I’m carrying my laptop in my backpack, my backpack already has a lined and padded pouch for laptops, so no need for the sleeve. The sleeve is for when I’m using a tote or other bag without a section already designed for laptops.

For that purpose, something inexpensive but sturdy fits my purposes perfectly. I just picked this up: https://www.amazon.com/Laptop-Sleeve-Case-MacBook-Air/dp/B07M8PYQ3B. It’s not the prettiest product but it’s well padded, opens vertically, and I feel comfortable putting it in a bag where it will bounce around and come into contact with other items.

Leather is great for items I handle daily like my wallet. For a laptop sleeve the cost doesn’t make sense for my needs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.