Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrm27

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 3, 2008
Hello all,

I've got an old 5th gen video iPod, and I think it has been limping along too long. The click wheel finally gave out and it is having a hard time being recognized by my computer. The screen has been bad for years and definitely needs replaced. I'd love to have the whole thing repaired and modded to bring some new life to it. Maybe a flash drive rather than a spinning disk, a new screen, larger battery, maybe bluetooth (if possible), etc... I'm not sure I could do this myself. Might anyone have suggestions on places that do this kind of work?

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
Hi, I'm somewhat surprised you've had no replies since end March. Whatever, you give no indication of where you're located (Europe, Asia, America etc?) which surely must dictate advise on places that repair and mod iPods.
I've just started to collect and repair iPods and so far find them reasonably simple to dismantle. With this in mind you may wish to DIY as there are many excellent video tutorials from iFixit and YTube.

jrm27

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 3, 2008
I received some very helpful messages, and I think I'm gonna DIY it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.