Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mryingster

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2013
California
I'm looking for a reliable wired gamepad to use with Mac/Steam and also Mac/OpenEmu. I have two wireless XBox controllers, but am pretty annoyed at them because they disconnect from bluetooth fairly frequently, plus I'm tired of having to replace the batteries. I had a Logitech wired gamepad, but it up and died completely for unknown reasons, so I'm hesitant to buy another one. I also don't trust amazon reviews, so I'm hoping people here can give me some reliable feedback on what is good to buy. Thanks in advance!

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
If they are xbox 1 or series controllers they can also work wired (with no batteries).

Horselover Fat

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2012
Germany
? I DO have a wired Xbox one gamepad and it doesn’t connect with macOS (Mojave/Big Sur). Neither wired nor via Bluetooth. If I boot into Windows it works flawlessly. This is on a MP 5,1. I also tried the xbox360 controller software but it doesn‘t work anymore.

venom600

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Does it really work for you guys? As I've written, for me it doesn't and I wonder why.
On any game that supports controllers, yes. Apple officially supports the Xbox One and Xbox Series controllers in the OS now and Steam has for a while. They also support PS4 Dual Shock and PS5 Dual Sense controllers natively.

venom600

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Try removing the old xbox controller driver. I had a similar issue and that helped. It is from back before Apple supported these controllers in the OS.

Horselover Fat

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2012
Germany
Thank you for the tip. I found several 360 controller files on my system with the help from this link (https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/uninstall-xbox-360-controller-driver.447793/) and deleted them all. Then I found even more by investigating the controller installation files with Pacifist and deleted those too. However, still no luck via USB or Bluetooth after restart. I guess it's the old Mac Pro's bluetooth connector. My iPhone can see the controller and my Windows can't, it's only USB there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.