Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Glmnet1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 21, 2017
After a long wait I finally purchased my first iPad yesterday and I'm very happy it has pencil support. Now I decided that I won't be buying the Logitech one. The price is good but no pressure sensitivity, the design is really ugly and it's way too thick. Also we don't know when it will be available to the public.

Now I'm wondering if it'd be worth to wait for WWDC for a possible new Pencil? What could be improved?

I don't need one at all, it's mostly for note taking and what seems like a really fun gadget. Hey I might even try to learn to draw!

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
First of all, the WWDC is a software event. It's also a date at which it is possible for hardware to be announced, but expecting a new Pencil is kind of a stretch.

If you don't really need one I doubt a next gen version will offer much for you. I've used a Pencil for drawing and it's already a brilliantly accurate device. Very easy to use and feels natural.

I'd be looking for some discounts or at eBay for some good deals. In my area I was able to find one barely used for 50 euros which is a great way to give it a try.

Glmnet1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 21, 2017
First of all, the WWDC is a software event. It's also a date at which it is possible for hardware to be announced, but expecting a new Pencil is kind of a stretch.

If you don't really need one I doubt a next gen version will offer much for you. I've used a Pencil for drawing and it's already a brilliantly accurate device. Very easy to use and feels natural.

I'd be looking for some discounts or at eBay for some good deals. In my area I was able to find one barely used for 50 euros which is a great way to give it a try.
Well they did release the latest version of the iPad Pro at the last WWDC so new ones and a new Pencil doesn't seem that far of a stretch.

You're right, I probably wouldn't need the new features anyway.

I'll keep looking, those I could find were only $10-15 less expensive so I'd rather buy it new. Thanks!

Reactions: Peter K.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
Even if they do release a new pencil, they most likely would add new features onto the pencil (a "Pencil Pro"?) to jack up prices and backwards compatibility with your existing device is not guaranteed.

Reactions: Glmnet1

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
Even if they do release a new pencil, they most likely would add new features onto the pencil (a "Pencil Pro"?) to jack up prices and backwards compatibility with your existing device is not guaranteed.

Pencil Pro can only be paired via the Smart Connector :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.