Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applefanb0y

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 9, 2022
So I've had a s22 ultra in addition to my iphone 11 for about three months. I'm really enjoying the experience software wise but the hardware build quality is throwing me off.

I've had paint chips across the body for no reason. The case is a soft ringke case that I clean regularly so the doesn't mess the phone up and yet I have paint chips at the bottom of the phone and along the camera rim.

Photos : https://ibb.co/RYJp7d7 and
Anyone else with similar issues?

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Common issue with all devices. Either use a skin between phone and case or clean it out more often like at least every few days or even more often if around sand. For the spots already present perhaps find a color matching Sharpie to touch it up.

applefanb0y

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 9, 2022
Common issue with all devices. Either use a skin between phone and case or clean it out more often like at least every few days or even more often if around sand. For the spots already present perhaps find a color matching Sharpie to touch it up.
I’ve actually been cleaning it when needed. I don’t live in a particularly dusty area so I was surprised it’s happening. I wiped it using an alcohol wipe and now I don’t see it unless looking at it in direct light. The camera chip is another story though.

Apparently fonearena review also reported chipping too. I guess some folks just don’t notice these tiny things. Wish I was like them.

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
That's a common problem with most painted devices these days. Do a search on the latest iPhone's and you'll find a similar problem, around the band edges. The new M2 Macbook Air's with the painted finish also has this problem around the ports. That problem is already on YT videos.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
So I've had a s22 ultra in addition to my iphone 11 for about three months. I'm really enjoying the experience software wise but the hardware build quality is throwing me off.

I've had paint chips across the body for no reason. The case is a soft ringke case that I clean regularly so the doesn't mess the phone up and yet I have paint chips at the bottom of the phone and along the camera rim.

Photos : https://ibb.co/RYJp7d7 and
Anyone else with similar issues?
So you have a iPhone 11 as well? Have you noticed paint chipping on the iPhone?
Apparently it is a issue as well.
Here is a google search for paint chipping for iPhone 11

Blue Quark

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2020
Probabilistic
I just became an S22 Ultra owner this past Saturday. I only had it naked long enough to install the SIM card. It's in my favorite case: the one made by Speck. I've been using them since my Moto G7 days, and I wouldn't switch for anything.

People always find a way of damaging their property and then trying to blame others.

applefanb0y

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 9, 2022
I just became an S22 Ultra owner this past Saturday. I only had it naked long enough to install the SIM card. It's in my favorite case: the one made by Speck. I've been using them since my Moto G7 days, and I wouldn't switch for anything.

People always find a way of damaging their property and then trying to blame others.
Ah nice - just because you don't have it just yet on your brand new device, people are purposely damaging their property.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Nothing on my S22U. It's the black version, and been inside the official Samsung leather back case since day one.

Blue Quark

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2020
Probabilistic
people are purposely damaging their property.
Yep. People do deliberately damage their own property to try and screw over others. People absolutely take no interest in their own stuff and then try to push the responsibility on others. This and far worse happens every single day in just about every conceivable way. I've worked enough support- as well as retail jobs in my life to have seen this first-hand.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.