Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rainyman96

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 15, 2018
Hey

I've used Camtasia mac trial version for couple days and I have to say it's really amazing. Though the huge size of the output file isn't so good news for a half-terabyte SSD.

So far, I've had to reduce the size/bitrate using the app after recording (re-encoding actually) but it's a so time-consuming process and I really haven't got too much time n free space doing that.

Anybody knows any paid app to record the screen with the option of choosing the bitrate at first before starting to record?

Sorry for the broken English.

Last edited:

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
Part of the reason the file size is so large is when you record screen, I believe Camtasia records from the graphics frame buffer. On a retina machine, this is essentially 4K. This provides maximum flexibility in the editing process. The default recording is the whole screen. You can choose Region Option from the pull-down, and select something smaller.

In my experience, if you plan to do a lot of screen-based videos - generally as with other video work - you're going to need a lot of storage.

Reactions: MSastre

MSastre

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2014
Part of the reason the file size is so large is when you record screen, I believe Camtasia records from the graphics frame buffer. On a retina machine, this is essentially 4K. This provides maximum flexibility in the editing process. The default recording is the whole screen. You can choose Region Option from the pull-down, and select something smaller.

In my experience, if you plan to do a lot of screen-based videos - generally as with other video work - you're going to need a lot of storage.

Working with quality video files does require a lot of storage space, and in general, all media files should be kept on a separate fast external hard drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.