Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
There is a sale on an Stellaris expansion at Steam for the next 18 hours and I was wondering if we have any current or former Stellaris players here? I looked in my Steam Library and have the original game in my library, but never played it, and now I’m looking at an expansion pack for $9. :oops:

If so, to the question is this game more like Home World, a space based Civilization, Elite Dangerous, or more like X4: Foundations? Of note, loved X3 and Home World, but was disappointed with X4. I might go back and revisit X4. That game is unique because you can set up Captains to run trade routes for you, you can build space station and if I remember correctly fly in the cockpit for fighter space combat. I liked Elite Dangerous for a time, but got bored with the routine of fighting pirates out in the asteroid belts and was not thrilled with it’s trading mechanisms.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
There is a sale on an Stellaris expansion at Steam for the next 18 hours
The game looks interesting. I don't know the differences between the base game, the galaxy edition, and the starter pack but it looks like if you want the DLCs that are defined in the starter pack, its better to get the bundle.
1678966711028.png

The game seems to be very popular:
1678966826208.png

Reactions: Huntn

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Just to add a bit more info, the early reviews had some negativity for the single player stuff - at least back in 2016. I don't know how much has changed between 2016 and 2023 but it seems the game is popular in the multiplayer arena. I didn't find anything specific about how the game has been improved but Paradox seems to continually add DLCs for it.

If I were to take the plunge (and there's only a few hours left). I would get the base game and see how it is. I don't think its worth getting the DLCs until I had time to play with it. The game does seem to go on sale fairly regularly, so I suppose waiting until the next sale to get the DLCs may not be a bad thing if I find the base game enjoyable.

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Just to add a bit more info, the early reviews had some negativity for the single player stuff - at least back in 2016. I don't know how much has changed between 2016 and 2023 but it seems the game is popular in the multiplayer arena. I didn't find anything specific about how the game has been improved but Paradox seems to continually add DLCs for it.

If I were to take the plunge (and there's only a few hours left). I would get the base game and see how it is. I don't think its worth getting the DLCs until I had time to play with it. The game does seem to go on sale fairly regularly, so I suppose waiting until the next sale to get the DLCs may not be a bad thing if I find the base game enjoyable.
I do have the base game and think I’ll just hold off on the DLC until I get a chance to try it and if pleased wait for the next sale.

Update:
I found:

…and it appears to be more like Civilization, but since it is not turned based*, more fluid, maybe like Homeworld, although Homeworld is light on diplomacy which is ok by me as I seem to be burned out on the Civilization Experience. For myself the ideal experience I’m looking for would be X3. Egosoft irritates me because they release unfinished games with Cliff like learning curves, and minimalist tutorials. Now it’s been a while since X4 was released so there maybe some good guides to be found on YouTube.

* I’m really turned off by turn based these days.

Last edited:
Reactions: maflynn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.