Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

enterthemerdaverse

macrumors 6502
Nov 14, 2022
Warsaw
For the most complete solution for all types of photo editing there is nothing better than Photoshop. It’s the grand daddy and it is the most complete and optimal.

If you just want to edit and grade photos without the vast features and compatability of Photoshop then Affinity Photo is completely fine.

If you want to do digital painting Rebelle and ArtRage are the best.

If you need to do a mix of digital art and animation nothing is better than Clip Studio Paint.

• Sad
Reactions: Gudi

Herbert123

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2009
For the most complete solution for all types of photo editing there is nothing better than Photoshop. It’s the grand daddy and it is the most complete and optimal.
If you mean "all types of IMAGE editing" I'd say Photoshop is a good all-rounder. But hardly perfect. For photo editing it probably is at first place in the league.

It really depends on the image editing job at hand, though. For example, Photoshop is TERRIBLE at 1bit image editing: no layer support, and most options are unavailable. Compared, PhotoLine offers best-in-class 1bit image editing, with full layer support. (I am aware this is an extremely specific task but one I have to do for comic work ;-) )

For pixel art editing Photoshop is "okay". Ideally a pixel artist works in index mode, but again: Photoshop's index mode is TERRIBLE: layers are not supported, many options again unavailable. Nor does it feature a specialized tool set for pixel art.

For the pixel artist either ProMotion NG or Aseprite would be at the top of the list instead, which work with indexed modes and offer full layer support while doing so. I prefer ProMotion NG, and detest doing pixel art in Photoshop.

And as you state, while Photoshop is great for digital painting jobs, again better options exist: ClipStudio Paint, Krita, ArtRage, etc.

Photoshop is indeed the grand daddy of image editors, which becomes quite obvious in various areas:
  • The awkward way vector tools are integrated/patched in.
  • Smart Objects are unwieldy and an unnecessary work-around for various non-destructive image editing tasks that are often implemented better in either PhotoLine or Affinity Photo or even Krita.
    For example, in PhotoLine a layer can be any bit depth, any resolution, any colour profile, any image mode. Transformations are non-destructive by default. No need for inconvenient smart objects (even though those are possible to add too when it actually makes sense to do so!)
  • The arbitrary 1 bitmap & 1 vector mask per layer. No such limitations in other image editors like PhotoLine or Affinity Photo.
  • The layer stack is limited in other ways as well. Compare to Affinity or PhotoLine. Or Krita.
    Want to apply an adjustment layer to another adjustment layer's mask? Sorry, no go! Only works destructively. Or work with inconvenient clipping masks. Which have their own limitations.

And why is the layer opacity slider range limited to 0-100%? Why not allow for negative values and higher values such as +200% and -200% ? This really opens up a flexible layer-based workflow. Granted, only PhotoLine is capable of this - but once I discovered that option, I really started questioning why other image editors stick to those arbitrary limitations.
  • The inability to instantiate layer masks or other layers. With PhotoLine or Krita it is easy to create clones of any type of layer, and re-use those clones. Update the original, and the changes cascade throughout. Smart objects can sort-of be used as a workaround, but not always. It is impossible to reference an existing layer mask and use that layer mask in other places in the layer stack.
  • The so-called "16 bit mode" is actually a 15bit +1bit mode. And Photoshop doesn't tell you that it removes half your data when you open a full range 16bit mode image in it!
  • Photoshop's resampling algorithms are outdated as well. No CatmullRom for downscaling images, for example.
  • The user interface is in places very outdated or inflexible. A simple example is the Curves window, which cannot be enlarged enough and is finicky to work with.
While I work with Photoshop at my job, every day I encounter various little and bigger workflow issues that are caused by legacy development decisions that were never updated since they were first implemented - and some of those stem from the nineties, such as Photoshop's "16 bit" mode.

For example, I cannot use Photoshop to create 16bit texture maps for displacement. ANY other image editor with a 16bit mode can handle it. Just not Photoshop, because of its outdated code. And that is frustrating.

Of course, no image editor is perfect. I run into limitations with PhotoLine and Affinity as well. That said, Photoshop's legacy core code is somewhat problematic. And the layer stack should have been improved ages ago. So much potential there, yet it's still the old antiquated layer stack from almost 20 years ago.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
I dropped Adobe about a year ago. I now use the Affinity Suite which has all the capabilities I need but it's so much snappier and less resource intensive. However, the interface is as unintuitive as Adobe programs. I still highly recommend their products, but I recently came across and am super impressed by the lack of a learning curve with Pixelmator Pro.

Reactions: Plymouthbreezer

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002
The day I retired I jumped on the Affinity line. It does have a somewhat steep learning cure but no different the being introduced to Photoshop for the first time.
So I vote Infinity Photo.

One thing I like about Infinity is it’s not subscription based. Also, they just updated to redeigned v2. For $99 I received Afinity Photo, Designer, and Publisher. The license includes Mac and Windows, AND the desktop and mobile apps.

I may try out Oixelmator Pro but I’ll have to decide wether to buy the desktop or the iPad version.
Any input on the differences of them would be welcome.

Reactions: Plymouthbreezer

Plymouthbreezer

macrumors 601
Feb 27, 2005
Massachusetts
I've been able to slim down to use the just the base monthly PS subscription, and try to cancel every year. They always do the retention price. I'm in PS about three times a week, so I'm right on the point where I could likely just use something else. But the idea of unlearning software I've been using since 2001 is difficult.

Reactions: TSE

vladi

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2010
You can use CS6. Depends on your workflow and things you do honestly. But for basic stuff CS6 would do.

BotchQue

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2019
I just have to say I admire the folks above who've worked with multiple programs and can list pros & cons for each; I'd been using PS Elements for awhile and was ready to jump to full PS when they went subscription-only (which I abhor), and went with Affinity.
I'm not a pro photographer, but I am now retired and can dedicate hours to learning something new, but I must just be slow; it'll take me forever to learn all the features of this program. They have 2.0 out now, I want to purchase it just to support the company but if its buggy I'll hold off a bit.

• Wow
Reactions: jagolden and TSE

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
I just have to say I admire the folks above who've worked with multiple programs and can list pros & cons for each; I'd been using PS Elements for awhile and was ready to jump to full PS when they went subscription-only (which I abhor), and went with Affinity.
I'm not a pro photographer, but I am now retired and can dedicate hours to learning something new, but I must just be slow; it'll take me forever to learn all the features of this program. They have 2.0 out now, I want to purchase it just to support the company but if its buggy I'll hold off a bit.

It's not buggy. At all. Day one Affinity 2.0.0 user here. :)

Reactions: BotchQue

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002
I'm not a pro photographer, but I am now retired and can dedicate hours to learning something new, but I must just be slow; it'll take me forever to learn all the features of this program. They have 2.0 out now, I want to purchase it just to support the company but if it’s buggy I'll hold off a bit.
You’ll quickly pick up what you need. I’ve been using it since v1. Using on desktop and iPads, v2.1.1 now.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
I've been using Affinity Photo since its release "on the side." In other words, I'm a Photoshop user by day, and play around with Affinity Photo in more of a "hobby" role. I work with a lot of clients and designers who ALL use Photoshop... there is no way Affinity will ever replace Photoshop in my workflow. Ever.

That being said, if I did NOT have to have 100% compatibility with Photoshop, and I did NOT work with other people on the same files, I would definitely give Affinity Photo (and Affinity Designer and Publisher) serious consideration for full-time use. Of the three Affinity apps, Photo is by far the best for a feature comparison with Adobe Photoshop.

Affinity Photo's best "feature" is that it really doesn't do anything better or worse than Photoshop, it just does it differently. How much differently calls for learning a new way of doing things, one that has a deep learning curve, if for no other reason than breaking long-standing habits.

Reactions: BotchQue

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
Pixelmator Pro and Pixelmator
FYI I worked in digital publishing for some time as an illustrator

Reactions: Algr
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.