Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

California

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 21, 2004
Guys, is the MBA screen really that much superior to the MBP 13" screen?

This may be a dumb question but is the MBA screen taller than the 13" MBP?

(It seems like it is, because the MBA seems more 'square" than the 13" MBP, but this is because I have never really tested out an Air.)

I am needing glasses and I could not stand the original MB Aluminum Unibody screen.

I love my 12" Powerbook screen == because it is non glare -- but I need a bigger screen on the go.

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
I thought they were using the same screen ever since the UMB went Pro. Except for the extra glass of course.

macboy4

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2009
The screen is exactly the same dimension and resolution.

The MBP has a slightly better color gamut, and, in a dark room, looks better.

The MBA DOES have a glossy screen, but it's not glass so the glare is much better on it.

I've had both and I prefer the MBP in a controlled environment, but in the real world I'd give the edge to the less "glary" MBA.

caonimadebi

macrumors regular
May 7, 2009
Both models are vastly superior to the venerable 12" Powerbook G4, simply because they're MUCH brighter and more power efficient. Go with either one and you will be happy.

LAS.mac

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2009
Mexico
Maybe are just those I've seen (Best Buy and Apple Store) however my impression is that MBA has a better color range, with whiter white, for instance. MBP are always too on the pink side.

NC MacGuy

macrumors 603
Feb 9, 2005
The good side of the grass.
Maybe are just those I've seen (Best Buy and Apple Store) however my impression is that MBA has a better color range, with whiter white, for instance. MBP are always too on the pink side.

I think a lot depends on the calibrations. Out of the box the MBP needs a bit more tweaking because of the confounded glass cover.

I wantg an MBP screen in the MBA.

I want just the opposite. MBA on the MBP.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I think a lot depends on the calibrations. Out of the box the MBP needs a bit more tweaking because of the confounded glass cover.

I want just the opposite. MBA on the MBP.

I agree, those MBP displays are ruined by the glass. I think they can look great in a pitch black room watching a video, but the rest of the time they're pretty much WORTHLESS!

pesc

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2006
I agree, those MBP displays are ruined by the glass. I think they can look great in a pitch black room watching a video, but the rest of the time they're pretty much WORTHLESS!

I agree too. The glossy glass kills the 13" MBP. I don't want it. If they released a matte option I would buy.

I would buy a 4GB, >160GB SSD Air, but not if it came with a mirror screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.