Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AirpodsNow

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 15, 2017
There is this weird app or script that keeps starting. I have tried to ask for help but to no avail, it’s compicated. Never mind, I thought to start clean. i have tried with Time Machine restore but the issue persisted.

Do people have some advice or a handy list of things i Need to dot down or copy before? For instance I plan to copy my 3rd party app from application folder. I have of course all my logins.

Just wondered if there is already a guide I can use to make sure “all” of the things can moved over what Time Machine normally does.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Why don't you tell us more about the "weird app or script that keeps starting" ...?
Can you take a screenshot, or post a short video of what's happening?

If you want to start completely clean WITHOUT resorting to a backup, well, go ahead.
Yes, you'll need a pencil and paper and need to write down a lot of stuff first.

Alternate suggestion:
Use either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper to create a CLONED backup of your current drive.
After the clean install, you can mount the cloned backup "right in the finder" and copy things over one-at-a-time...

AirpodsNow

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 15, 2017
Why don't you tell us more about the "weird app or script that keeps starting" ...?
Can you take a screenshot, or post a short video of what's happening?

AirpodsNow

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 15, 2017
If you want to start completely clean WITHOUT resorting to a backup, well, go ahead.
Yes, you'll need a pencil and paper and need to write down a lot of stuff first.

Alternate suggestion:
Use either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper to create a CLONED backup of your current drive.
After the clean install, you can mount the cloned backup "right in the finder" and copy things over one-at-a-time...
I was afraid there wasn't any clever way then go back to the paper method. having a super duper copy seems like a clever way of 'backing' it up.

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
Do people have some advice or a handy list of things i Need to dot down or copy before? For instance I plan to copy my 3rd party app from application folder. I have of course all my logins.
As a start:
List of apps. You should reinstall from distribution - just copying the .app is not sufficient for some apps.
License keys. I keep mine in 1Password along with all my passwords (and I know how to get access after recovery).
Non-standard system and app preferences - you are going to need to recreate them.
Some apps will have data in ~/Library that you will need to recover.
Understand your use of cloud synchronisation products and what needs to be done.
Keep your backup carefully.

AirpodsNow

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 15, 2017
As a start:
List of apps. You should reinstall from distribution - just copying the .app is not sufficient for some apps.
License keys. I keep mine in 1Password along with all my passwords (and I know how to get access after recovery).
Non-standard system and app preferences - you are going to need to recreate them.
Some apps will have data in ~/Library that you will need to recover.
Understand your use of cloud synchronisation products and what needs to be done.
Keep your backup carefully.
thanks. Yes I got the 1password as well and all my data are on iCloud-cloud and others as well. It's just my question around the macOS state, I just wondered if there was something people would say, please save this otherwise you will loose it.

One of the things are the apps and their licensing. I still got an 'old' Microsoft Office etc. I will look at the library folder, there are a lot of folders there, don't think I get what to take for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.