Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Khurram

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
So i just got 2 gigs of g skill ram but I can't install it:(

I opened the left and right screws on the L shaped protector in front of the ram, but I cannot make the middle screw budge for the life of me, my fingers are practically bleeding! Is there a trick to loosening it?

If I take my macbook to the apple store do you think they will open the screw for me even though I'm not installing apple ram?
How should I go about this?

treblah

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2003
Are you using one of these?

If so, apply pressure on the end and twist with your other hand.

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Khurram said:
So i just got 2 gigs of g skill ram but I can't install it:(

I opened the left and right screws on the L shaped protector in front of the ram, but I cannot make the middle screw budge for the life of me, my fingers are practically bleeding! Is there a trick to loosening it?

If I take my macbook to the apple store do you think they will open the screw for me even though I'm not installing apple ram?
How should I go about this?

Well, if you're screw is stripped, I don't know. Are you sure you're using the correct screwdriver? :eek:

One of my screws were tight as bejeezus, but I was able to get it to open.

Khurram

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
treblah said:
Are you using one of these?

If so, apply pressure on the end and twist with your other hand.

No, i'm just using a tiny screwdriver...what is the specific name for that thing your holding?

Do you think they will open it up for me at the apple store if i'm not installing apple ram?

treblah

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2003
Khurram said:
No, i'm just using a tiny screwdriver...what is the specific name for that thing your holding?

Do you think they will open it up for me at the apple store if i'm not installing apple ram?

It's a Stanley #0 Phillips head screwdriver. Picked it up at Target. Comes in a package with 4 other small screwdrivers.

Khurram

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
miles01110 said:
Apply downward pressure while applying torque. 2 of the screws on my MBP were quite hard to get out.

So should I go at the screws from a vertical position with my macbook up on it's side?
Or horizontally?

Khurram

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
AndyR said:
Took me ages to get the middle screw out! Never ever had that much trouble with something like that.

Was quicker upgrading the Mini :rolleyes:

So, I guess the middle screw has been a problem for other people as well..I'm gonna get the phillips 0 today after college and give it another shot, It just wont budge a milimeter...the other two came off relativley easily...I hope it's not jammed against the metal bar...

If it is, do you think they will open it for me at the apple store?

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2003
California
Khurram said:
So, I guess the middle screw has been a problem for other people as well..I'm gonna get the phillips 0 today after college and give it another shot, It just wont budge a milimeter...the other two came off relativley easily...I hope it's not jammed against the metal bar...

If it is, do you think they will open it for me at the apple store?

Khurram - you are over thinking the issue - if you can't unscrew it take it to the Apple store and ask one of the techs to loosen the screw for you.

Also - there is an old acronym (RTFM) - you are supposed to use a Phillips 00 screwdriver.

Done deal!!!

Attachments

• Phillips 00.jpg
    Phillips 00.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 170

Khurram

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
Apple Corps said:
Khurram - you are over thinking the issue - if you can't unscrew it take it to the Apple store and ask one of the techs to loosen the screw for you.

Done deal!!!

Good deal,
thats what I wanted to know.
thanks

bokdol

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
VA
there is one trick i use. especially with the macbook. place the drive to the screw. hold the drive at the end. like your pushing it in. and use a set of pliers to grip the handle of the drive. the tork of the pliers are much stronger then your hands. and very little push is needed. works great.

driver.jpg

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
I thought those screws were Philips #00, not 0. Slow, firm and steady is the way to open tiny, stuck screws.

mac000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2005
i went to CVS and bought an eyeglass repair kit, that seemed to do the trick for me!

tehdee

macrumors member
May 7, 2006
i had a really tough time with one of the ram screws on my mbp. i read on some other boards, that there was a problem with some of the screws being siliconed and over-tightened.

my screw was not budging, and in the process of trying to take it out, i started stripping the screw. i stopped there, and had them fix it when i took my mbp in for the logic board swap. they had no trouble with it, and even threw the ram in for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.