Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benguild

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2003
Asking for a friend:
Is there any way to still activate an older iPhone or something or get someone to do it for you to force unlimited data onto your personal account?

I remember there were a few ways that would burn a SIM card (due to activating an older model and then a new model again) but I thought those were all closed up.

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
I dunno, somewhere in West Texas
Question is why would you even want unlimited data when AT&T throttles your data speeds at their discretion, and yes I've been throttled after hitting 2 gigs before.

I much rather pay $10 for every extra gig I go over than to be reduced to lukewarm middling speeds all in the name of having unlimited data.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Question is why would you even want unlimited data when AT&T throttles your data speeds at their discretion, and yes I've been throttled after hitting 2 gigs before.
I suppose because people see unlimited data as the holy grail of mobile usage, regardless of whether the carrier throttles your speeds

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010

I much rather pay $10 for every extra gig I go over than to be reduced to lukewarm middling speeds all in the name of having unlimited data.

They throttle at 5gb on a LTE plan.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
I suppose because people see unlimited data as the holy grail of mobile usage, regardless of whether the carrier throttles your speeds

Which is sort of strange since everyone has "unlimited" data - the carriers will give you just as much data as you want to pay for! :cool:

waa1futs

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2012
They throttle at 5gb on a LTE plan.

Plus the unlimited data plan is covered under the employee discount.

The newer $30 for 3 gigs of data isn't.

Man I'm happy I got in on the unlimited data / original iPhone glitch while it was available :D

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan

As other posters have pointed out, AT&T now says they *may* throttle you after 5GB on LTE. $30 for 5GB of full speed data is a better deal then $30 for 3GB.

However, in one month I hit 6GB and in another 7.5GB--and I was not throttled. Verizon's old unlimited plan is still better though--I don't believe they throttle you at all.

Italianblend

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
Fatima

But some people don't want to pay that extra $10. I like the unlimited data because I don't have to even give it a second thought.

And - some people, believe it or not, have only a phone data connection to the outside world. I know someone who doesn't have cable or wireless and her only connection to anyone is through sprint unlimited data on her iphone.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Either:

Go to one of the smaller carriers that still offer unlimited data (but less coverage)

or
Use as much data as you want and pay $10 per GB to AT&T.

iceterminal

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2008
Dallas Tx.
Whole family is on unlimited, but we rarely if ever go over 2GB. Mostly because everywhere we go has wifi in some form or fashion. But there are times when the wifi blows (at the gym) so we'll use LTE.

Even though we have unlimited, we never use it. Go figure.

Deasnutz

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2011
I've been warned, but never throttled.

It is nice to not have to worry about my usage.

jesusplay

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
SOUTH

I've use 1TB of data in 2 months tethering. Once you use a certain amount of data, it goes unlimited.

freediverdude

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2006
I have an unlimited AT&T data account, and am moving everything over to Verizon- is there any way to give that to someone else? I guess I wouldn't mind giving up the number too, but I'm looking at my options currently.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
You can also buy an unlimited plan from VZW and AT&T off eBay off people. They are crazy expensive though

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I got a text last month from AT&T when I hit 5GB on unlimited LTE iPhone data plan.
I racked up close to 8GB till the billing cycle was over but didn't get throttled.
With my work discount the unlimited data plan ends up costing me $22.50 per month. Well worth it.
I'm keeping it for as long as I can:)

frito1224

macrumors regular
May 3, 2011
oklahoma
Your friend could try to do what i did last year which was calling in 3 or more times a day for a few days and asking the supervisor to put you on it i finally got both my iPhone's on the unlimited plan but it wasn't easy

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.