Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA
Looking for an app for my AppleTV 4 that will play a variety of video files, but I'd like the files ON the AppleTV; I can connect a USB cable and drag the files over. (Most of the apps I've seen want to connect to the network to get the files)

We do this for apps open the iPad/iPhone, can it be done on the AppleTV?

I just want to have one device that I will move over videos for my NON-TECHIE MOTHER to play and not any other devices that it would have to connect to, they'd just be there. I could drag over several videos and reload it for her later. When I say non-techie, I mean it'll be difficult to get her to switch to the HDMI port.

If it's going to be complicated, I'll just give her a WDtv and an external hard drive. BUT I'd rather have her use an AppleTV and then at a much later date I can show her that her photos are in the cloud too (and then even more later too). I wish my old AppleTV 1 hadn't died, that'd be perfect, I'd sync it at my house and take it to hers...

Gary

Last edited:

DebbieFL33

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2015
One Video allows file upload to ATV4, but UI is not for non-techs and use of Siri remote is questionable. You can try One Video lite (free) to try UI.

Reactions: Noltimm

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
The USB-C on Apple TV is not available. I think best to use a NAS type device to feed the Apple TV 4. With that you have many Apps that can be used. I bought the WD MyCloud (starting price at $123). This can be used to feed ALL of your devices. Other options available. Once setup you can forget about it. I am also reading that there will be apps to play from iCloud so that could be an option if you do not have a lot. But I think the NAS is the simplest at this point.

http://www.amazon.com/Cloud-Persona...UTF8&qid=1452963280&sr=8-1&keywords=wdmycloud

macaximx

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2009
Looking for an app for my AppleTV that will play a variety of files, but I'd like the files ON the AppleTV; I can connect a USB cable and drag the files over. (Most of the apps I've seen want to connect to the network to get the files)

We do this for apps open the iPad/iPhone, can it be done on the AppleTV?

I just want to have one device that I will move over videos for my NON-TECHIE MOTHER to play and not any other devices that it would have to connect to, they'd just be there. I could drag over several videos and reload it for her later. When I say non-techie, I mean it'll be difficult to get her to switch to the HDMI port.

If it's going to be complicated, I'll just give her a WDtv and an external hard drive. BUT I'd rather have her use an AppleTV and then at a much later date I can show her that her photos are in the cloud too (and then even more later too). I wish my old AppleTV 1 hadn't died, that'd be perfect, I'd sync it at my house and take it to hers...

Gary
Just give her a WDTV. Easy interface and it works. A non techie mom would not mind a WDTV.

DebbieFL33

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2015
Just give her a WDTV. Easy interface and it works. A non techie mom would not mind a WDTV.
Or an Apple TV 4, since you are willing to invest in a hard drive. Lots of apps to choose from. Once set up many have 'Mom" friendly UIs.

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 19, 2006
Agree. Treat Mom to a better experience. So much more to available.
Or an Apple TV 4, since you are willing to invest in a hard drive. Lots of apps to choose from. Once set up many have 'Mom" friendly UIs.

Yes an AppleTV 4 is what I want to give her. I thought that was implied since I'm looking for an app.
BUT I want to store the videos on the 64GB that's in the AppleTV.

I actually have an old WDtv I could give her, but I'd prefer NOT to have two boxes (I don't think they make a unit with a hard drive anymore, but as I mentioned I'd like to eventually graduate her to looking at her photos and other apple ecosystem things).

Just one box to make it simple (then she could even bring the box to me to fill up with "stuff") two boxes and it's another matter (too many cords!).

Gary

Last edited:

a.coward

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2010
I'm specificly looking for an app for the AppleTV 4 that lets me sideload video.

Gart

I was going to suggest "HD Player", which was discussed in an earlier thread:

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...player-is-available-for-apple-tv-now.1944986/

This allows you to transfer files over to the Apple TV via WiFi for later player. However, it looks like looks as if it longer available in the App Store. You may want to follow up with the developer with a post to the above thread.

Anyway, I'm not too sure if you will find any true local video player as the Apple TV does not support persistent local storage: TVOS can delete non-core files associated with an app as it sees fit.

Reactions: garylapointe

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 19, 2006
Anyway, I'm not too sure if you will find any true local video player as the Apple TV does not support persistent local storage: TVOS can delete non-core files associated with an app as it sees fit.

That's what the way storage appears to be, but I figure they'd stay there until it needed space.

Looks like it be perfect, too bad the app isn't still there...

You'd just think with 64GB of storage, I'd be able to store something in it! :)

Gary

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.