Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

srbNYC

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 7, 2020
New York, NY
Does anyone know if there's any way to get a media-playing HomePod alarm to send its audio to networked AirPlay audio that's already set up through my Apple ecosystem?

Thanks.

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
Not an Apple Music subscriber but I think perhaps if you are, you might be able to create an Automation (Based on the time of day) instead of an Alarm, and then specify media and on what AirPlay targets it plays.

Reactions: srbNYC

srbNYC

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 7, 2020
New York, NY
Interesting idea, thanks for responding! Automations and Shortcuts aren't my specialties, but it's a long, cold weekend, so maybe I'll try that.

srbNYC

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 7, 2020
New York, NY
Ah, sorry, I meant wake-up. I have it play my local NPR station, and it would be great if it played through the AirPlay system

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Ah, sorry, I meant wake-up. I have it play my local NPR station, and it would be great if it played through the AirPlay system
It looks like this is possible through Shortcuts. Admittedly, I’m no expert in Shortcuts but it looks like you can create an alarm and then “set the playback destination” (iPhone to AirPlay device) or “handoff playback” (HomePod to AirPlay device) to whatever AirPlay device in your network.

What AirPlay device are you using other than the HomePod?

srbNYC

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 7, 2020
New York, NY
Awesome. Per a couple of comment here, I'll try Automation or Shortcuts this weekend!

I have an old-school stereo receiver (with hard-wired speakers in two rooms) in my AirPlay network, via a beloved Airport Express.

Reactions: Itinj24

srbNYC

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 7, 2020
New York, NY
Thank you for these suggestions. Yes, I was able to create an automated shortcut that plays medias through my airport express network. Thank you again.

Reactions: dotme and Itinj24

srbNYC

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 7, 2020
New York, NY
OK gang, one more obscure question. Thanks for this solve, @dotme and @Itinj24. This is working mostly great. But when media playback is selected in a personal automation, any idea from where I can actually control it once it's playing? My Music app isn't going, my HomePod isn't going, and I can't find anywhere to pause or adjust the volume while it's playing! Thanks in advance.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
OK gang, one more obscure question. Thanks for this solve, @dotme and @Itinj24. This is working mostly great. But when media playback is selected in a personal automation, any idea from where I can actually control it once it's playing? My Music app isn't going, my HomePod isn't going, and I can't find anywhere to pause or adjust the volume while it's playing! Thanks in advance.
Did you try the AirPlay platter in control center? If it doesn’t pop up with what’s playing, open it and select “Control Other Speakers and TVs” at the bottom and scroll to the proper device.

srbNYC

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 7, 2020
New York, NY
Did you try the AirPlay platter in control center? If it doesn’t pop up with what’s playing, open it and select “Control Other Speakers and TVs” at the bottom and scroll to the proper device.
I will check! I know it doesn't show it as curently playing, but perhaps if I tap it open. Thanks.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I will check! I know it doesn't show it as curently playing, but perhaps if I tap it open. Thanks.
Also try the Home app where the HomePod and AirPlay devices should reside. You should be able to select it from there too.

I use a shortcut that does something similar with my outdoor backyard/pool speakers. The shortcut basically handoffs music playback from my iPhone to an AppleTV controlling the amp to the outdoor speakers. When I do that, I get the pop ups everywhere to control that AppleTV (control center, Notification Center, Apple Watch, etc). Maybe because yours is an automation, it figures you don’t want to be bothered and to just let it run in the background.

srbNYC

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 7, 2020
New York, NY
Thanks again, @Itinj24 . Tried this morning after alart started, and sure enough, it was under "Control Other Speakers" in the expanded CC window.

Edit: Also interested to discover that the Shortcuts app (on my iPhone) decided to create this to play via Apple TV, not my HomePod or phone.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.