Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 8, 2002
I'd like to forward my main email address to my mobileme address so that it pushes to my iphone (yes, the 15 minutes matters to me).

However, I can't figure out how to set it up such that when I reply, the "from" address remains my main email address. I don't want the mobileme address out in the wild - I want people to continue to see replies from me coming from my main email address.

I see in the iPhone 2.0 software that you can change the "from" each time you send a message, but I want it changed by default, every time I send a message.

I can't find such a setting on the phone or in the mobileme mail settings online.

If this can't be changed, then that's a major blow to the usefulness of mobile me (for me anyway). Push email is great, but for me I need to be able to use it with my existing account.

TM

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 8, 2002
Thanks but that didn't seem to work. On the iPhone, I went into "Account Info" for the mobileme account, I turned Off the Primary Server (which is smtp.me.com) and turned on one of the "Other SMPT Servers" - specifically, the one for my main account.

I then sent an email from the mobileme account, and it arrived "From" the mobileme address, not the main address.

Did I do something incorrectly?

Any other thoughts?

Thanks,
TM

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 8, 2002
Thanks. I actually found a link to that elsewhere in one of the long threads on all the problems today. At least 1 guy claims he tried it and says it doesn't work. That said, it seems like it should. So - I'm trying now.

I have successfully sent an email from the iPhone from the account configured with those instructions, so that's good!

Only problem left is that at the moment push-to-iphone doesn't seem to be working (from any me app - mail, calendars, contacts) so I can't test that portion of the functionality, but intuitively it should work.

Thanks!!
TM

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 8, 2002
NOPE. This does not work. While the account will receive messages from mobileme, and send them from my main address, the account will NOT accept push email. It is pulled from the server. If you go into Settings > Fetch New Data > Advanced there is no choice for push :(

Keep trying guys, there must be a way to get 3rd party emails pushed to the iPhone, replied to with your own email address, with mm working seamlessly in the background!

Van Wildonher

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2008
So it's not possible having it default? I hope they change it because if not it will be lame and pretty unusable by lots of people.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.