Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
Apr 19, 2014
Like the title says. This banner popping up every time I open Safari in private browsing mode is annoying and unnecessary. Any way to stop it in Mojave?

Reactions: cpg23

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
put the cursor where the 'x' will appear; then open a private window, and click that x immediately. (sorry, this seems to be such a minor thing, but... perhaps someone here has an idea on how to remove the banner).

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
I realize this isn't helpful, but why do you need to get rid of that banner? It's not like you have to click the X to close it in order to use the window as you normally would.

cpg23

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2013
I realize this isn't helpful, but why do you need to get rid of that banner? It's not like you have to click the X to close it in order to use the window as you normally would.
You're right…but it's just a big, ugly, stupid banner. There's already a "Private" indicator (default) in the Toolbar.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
On a regular (non-private) web page you can hold down the Option key and right-click a link for the option to open it in a private window…skipping the private browsing start page and banner.

It doesn't work from the Safari Start Page as far as I can tell.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.