Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
surely this is one of the top things people want to do with a smart speaker?

HomePod has never let me wake up to music. it will play music. it will play radio. it will waken me up to an annoying noise. it will not waken me up to radio 1.

on the other hand. google home has woke me up to radio 1 for years now. until last week. now it seems google have removed the ability claiming its one of 17 rarely used commands.

I am so used to waking up to the radio this is stressing me out, I don't want to wake up to a rude loud alarm. I have a Mac, iPhone, iPad, HomePod, google home. surely one of these can be set to think its 8am lets play some music?

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
I have a Mac, iPhone, iPad, HomePod, google home. surely one of these can be set to think its 8am lets play some music?

You also have an Apple Watch (according to your signature). I use mine to monitor my sleep and it gently wakes me up with “Early Riser” and taps on my wrist. Try it, you might like it.

BTW: I use an older watch (S7) at night and my newer watch (Ultra) during the day. It’s not necessary, since they can recharge so quickly, but having two makes it trivially easy.

Reactions: madeirabhoy

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
if you have Apple Music, you can make an automation in the home app that plays music of your choice on your HomePod. you can also set a volume level. you can set that automation to trigger at a certain time and pick days of the week. each automation also has a disable toggle, useful for holidays or vacations.

If your schedule is less regular, You can also set it up to have it trigger the automation when an alarm goes off on your phone, you'll still have to stop or snooze the alarm on your phone. but the music will continue to play on the HomePod. You can set it to happen when any of your alarms sounds (you can also trigger on alarm stop or snooze), and you can pick one or more alarms for it to pay attention. Then you just have to set the alarm on your phone as you have usually done,

All of this requires Apple Music, if you don't have that, then all you can do with this is ambient sounds, like forest or ocean waves, none of which would be helpful for waking up. Although full volume white noise might wake you up pretty quick.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.