Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 10, 2014
Is there some built-in or third party way to make notes on a webpage in Safari? I think this feature exists in Edge. Is there any rumor of it coming to Safari? It would be extremely useful to me.

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
There's a couple different things you can do natively.

Create Quick Notes

You can also highlight text/images and create a Quick Note from there.

Annotate and save a webpage

Note: Rather than saving the PDF to Files, you can tap the share icon and save it to Notes (or some other app) instead.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 10, 2014
There's a couple different things you can do natively.

Create Quick Notes

You can also highlight text/images and create a Quick Note from there.

Annotate and save a webpage

Note: Rather than saving the PDF to Files, you can tap the share icon and save it to Notes (or some other app) instead.
Many thanks, but I was (vaguely) aware of these options. I was more hoping to note directly on the webpage and not have to bring it into another app. Main use case for is leaving the webpage in an open tab to come back to shortly, but not wanting to forget what I was going to do regarding it. An analogue version of this would be writing on a post-it note and sticking it on a page in a book as I’m reading through it, as opposed to copying the page and marking it up and putting it in my journal, which is useful too but a different situation and purpose.

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
Many thanks, but I was (vaguely) aware of these options. I was more hoping to note directly on the webpage and not have to bring it into another app. Main use case for is leaving the webpage in an open tab to come back to shortly, but not wanting to forget what I was going to do regarding it. An analogue version of this would be writing on a post-it note and sticking it on a page in a book as I’m reading through it, as opposed to copying the page and marking it up and putting it in my journal, which is useful too but a different situation and purpose.
That's basically how Quick Notes works. The note should re-appear the next time you view the page. And if you use iCloud syncing, the note will re-appear when you view the page on other devices too.

Reactions: Tagbert

subjonas

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 10, 2014
That's basically how Quick Notes works. The note should re-appear the next time you view the page. And if you use iCloud syncing, the note will re-appear when you view the page on other devices too.

Oh I didn’t know that it shows up on the webpage—that will probably work, thanks!
Do you happen to know if it will also work for making notes on emails? If it does, only the Apple mail app? But for emails I really want the note to be stored with the emails only, wouldn’t want it to fill up my Notes app 🫤

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
Oh I didn’t know that it shows up on the webpage—that will probably work, thanks!
Do you happen to know if it will also work for making notes on emails? If it does, only the Apple mail app? But for emails I really want the note to be stored with the emails only, wouldn’t want it to fill up my Notes app 🫤
Yeah, it works for the Apple Mail app too, similar to Safari. (Didn't have any luck getting it to work with Outlook.) The note will pop-up when viewing the email again, or you can tap the link in the note to go back to the email. The link seems buggy to me, it only works on the device I created the link from. If I create the note/link on my iPhone and try to open it from my iPad, it says it can't find the email. The note does pop-up when I go to view the email on my iPad though.

On iPhone, I had to add the Quick Note button to my Control Center to initiate it from there.
On iPad, I used the swipe from corner gesture.
On Mac, I think you use the fn-Q shortcut.

I wish these quick notes were organized better in Notes. I'm not really a fan of them showing up in the Quick Notes folder...AND in the Notes folder...AND in the All iCloud folder. Would be cool if they were just in one spot and organized by the apps where the note was made.

For emails, I suppose there could be better ways to do this. Reply to yourself, flag it, create a task (in Outlook), etc.

Reactions: subjonas

subjonas

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 10, 2014
Yeah, it works for the Apple Mail app too, similar to Safari. (Didn't have any luck getting it to work with Outlook.) The note will pop-up when viewing the email again, or you can tap the link in the note to go back to the email. The link seems buggy to me, it only works on the device I created the link from. If I create the note/link on my iPhone and try to open it from my iPad, it says it can't find the email. The note does pop-up when I go to view the email on my iPad though.

On iPhone, I had to add the Quick Note button to my Control Center to initiate it from there.
On iPad, I used the swipe from corner gesture.
On Mac, I think you use the fn-Q shortcut.

I wish these quick notes were organized better in Notes. I'm not really a fan of them showing up in the Quick Notes folder...AND in the Notes folder...AND in the All iCloud folder. Would be cool if they were just in one spot and organized by the apps where the note was made.

For emails, I suppose there could be better ways to do this. Reply to yourself, flag it, create a task (in Outlook), etc.
Great info, thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.