Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tony_YYZ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 30, 2015
Hi All,

I have a Series 1 and Series 2 Rose Gold watch. After using them in succession, I believe I will be keeping the Series 1 and returning the Series 2. The Series 2 watch I have came with a Space Orange Nylon band with a matching Rose Gold clasp. I want to buy this band for my Series 1 but it is only offered with the generic silver clasp. This goes for pretty much all of the bands from Apple.

Is there a way to obtain this band with the matching coloured clasp? I tried contacting Apple sales support and they did not know of a way. I've read here and there that others claimed to be successful in this venture. Does anyone know any specific details?

I appreciate all responses. It appears there is no love from Apple for Gold and Rose Gold owners with regards to matching bands.

Tony_YYZ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 30, 2015
IMG_4348.JPG

IMG_4347.PNG
Apple only sells official "Made for Apple Watch" lugs in standard stainless steel so no. However, you can get third party lugs and swap them out yourself.

I'm not referring to the lugs, I'm talking about the clasps and pins. See the images referenced. The included band comes with a rose gold clasp while the standalone band option includes only a silver clasp.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
View attachment 661142

View attachment 661139

I'm not referring to the lugs, I'm talking about the clasps and pins. See the images referenced. The included band comes with a rose gold clasp while the standalone band option includes only a silver clasp.

Unfortunately, they're only available out of the box when you purchase the model. There's currently no way you can purchase them separately unless someone offloads them on eBay, etc.

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
If you thought keeping track of SKUs for the AW was crazy now, imagine how insane it would be to sell every metal color in every variation of Sport band and nylon strap -- and, I suppose, every Link bracelet, milanese loop, classic buckle and modern buckle leather straps, and the leather loop.

Oy...

Tony_YYZ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 30, 2015
Keep the s1, sell the s2 privately with no band ;)

That's definitely more trouble than it's worth.
[doublepost=1475189532][/doublepost]
If you thought keeping track of SKUs for the AW was crazy now, imagine how insane it would be to sell every metal color in every variation of Sport band and nylon strap -- and, I suppose, every Link bracelet, milanese loop, classic buckle and modern buckle leather straps, and the leather loop.

Oy...

That's what computers are for!

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
That's what computers are for!
Sure, but computers can't magically shrink unsold boxes of unpopular strap combinations.

If you're going to make special combinations of any of the straps to sell separately, you really need to do all of them, or none. If you're selling them, you can't just say, "I'm sorry, we only sell Sport bands with seven different pin colors. The nylon strap you want is only available with polished steel." Probably a bigger disappointment than it is now.

So, back in the stockroom, instead of one pile of watch bands and bracelets, you multiply it by seven -- silver and grey aluminum, polished and black steel, rose and yellow gold aluminum, and ceramic -- because you can only partially predict who's going to buy what. Then, after a few months, you might find out which combinations don't sell well, and now you've got a bunch of bands that you can hardly give away taking up valuable space.

Cook doesn't like hanging onto hardware he can't sell. He already knows what a hassle it was for Apple in the mid-90's.

Tony_YYZ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 30, 2015
Sure, but computers can't magically shrink unsold boxes of unpopular strap combinations.

If you're going to make special combinations of any of the straps to sell separately, you really need to do all of them, or none. If you're selling them, you can't just say, "I'm sorry, we only sell Sport bands with seven different pin colors. The nylon strap you want is only available with polished steel." Probably a bigger disappointment than it is now.

So, back in the stockroom, instead of one pile of watch bands and bracelets, you multiply it by seven -- silver and grey aluminum, polished and black steel, rose and yellow gold aluminum, and ceramic -- because you can only partially predict who's going to buy what. Then, after a few months, you might find out which combinations don't sell well, and now you've got a bunch of bands that you can hardly give away taking up valuable space.

Cook doesn't like hanging onto hardware he can't sell. He already knows what a hassle it was for Apple in the mid-90's.

There are so many different ways to control inventory. Offer different colour choices online only, don't produce them in excess, release options and adjust quantities based on current sales, etc.

There are probably tons of unsold bands as it is, some likely unsold because those like myself don't see the right options available.

Based on your given logic, there should only be one colour available for the aluminum models. That would drastically reduce skus. Just seems kind of strange to produce watch bodies in various colour options but not have matching bands. These are fashion accessories as much as they are a tool.

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
So, contact one of those thousands of companies through Alibaba and get some made. You can sell 'em and make a little money yourself.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I can see an online configuration tool being handy and doable. Apple allowed engraving (maybe thebstikl do?) so I don't see this as terribly different. Motorola did Moto Maker too, for their phones, which I thought was pretty cool.

Frankly, at $50, I think some more customization makes sense. I can make an custom Xbox controller for almost the same price as a rubber (yeah I know it's not rubber but you get it) Watch strap lol.

btrach144

macrumors demi-god
Aug 28, 2015
Indiana
I agree, my wife has a rose gold AW with lavender strap. She doesn't want to give up the rose gold pin but her band is starting to look nasty after only a year.

I understand that having this type of option in store would be a nightmare but they could at least offer it as online only.

Tony_YYZ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 30, 2015
I can see an online configuration tool being handy and doable. Apple allowed engraving (maybe thebstikl do?) so I don't see this as terribly different. Motorola did Moto Maker too, for their phones, which I thought was pretty cool.

Frankly, at $50, I think some more customization makes sense. I can make an custom Xbox controller for almost the same price as a rubber (yeah I know it's not rubber but you get it) Watch strap lol.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

I agree, my wife has a rose gold AW with lavender strap. She doesn't want to give up the rose gold pin but her band is starting to look nasty after only a year.

I understand that having this type of option in store would be a nightmare but they could at least offer it as online only.

If I buy another sport band, I can convince myself to ignore the pin colour. But the nylon band has a much more prominent clasp and pin that it stands out more. Woe is us I guess.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.