Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
Listen shenan1982 you cheeky little monkey why don't you think before you go posting stuff on line:

What I said is that there are different profiles, BT profiles, that IOS can use to do different things and even those profiles e.g. A2DP can use different codecs. IOS determines what BT profiles it uses and here IOS is clearly using a profile that is different from the one it uses to stream music A2DP. Perhaps it's using the Headset Profile (HSP) that is a low bitrate profile.

As others have noted when music is playing the Siri Voice is in high quality so perhaps this somehow tricks BT into using a different codec or profile. The Maps voice appears to be in high quality. And FaceTime is also not being implemented correctly too.

My point is you don't pick and chose haha

Padster99

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2014
Fix that worked for me....

All, I found this buried deep in the web so can't claim to be the saviour but spent so long searching I wanted to share:

To stop the alert tones from being sent to the connected bluetooth device, follow the steps below (I have tested them on iPhone 5 running iOS 7.1.2).

1) Swipe up to display and access the control center.
2) On the right of the AirDrop cell you should be able to see another cell with the name of your bluetooth device. For example, when my Sony MBH10 bluetooth hands-free device is connected, the name of that cell is "MBH10".
3) Tap on that cell and you should get a list that allows you to choose where alert tones should be sent to. Select "iPhone". The name of the cell should now become "AirPlay".

That's it ! Alert tones should now be played by your iPhone instead of being sent to the connected bluetooth device.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
All, I found this buried deep in the web so can't claim to be the saviour but spent so long searching I wanted to share:

To stop the alert tones from being sent to the connected bluetooth device, follow the steps below (I have tested them on iPhone 5 running iOS 7.1.2).

2) On the right of the AirDrop cell you should be able to see another cell with the name of your bluetooth device. For example, when my Sony MBH10 bluetooth hands-free device is connected, the name of that cell is "MBH10".
3) Tap on that cell and you should get a list that allows you to choose where alert tones should be sent to. Select "iPhone". The name of the cell should now become "AirPlay".

That's it ! Alert tones should now be played by your iPhone instead of being sent to the connected bluetooth device.

I thought this was common knowledge?

Padster99

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2014
I thought this was common knowledge?

Well it may be for some - but it's not just here but this question has been left unanswered in many places - it's not obvious and isn't easily available in any obvious place. So just trying to help anyone else who goes searching.

bcl2711

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2015

Oh my goodness - THANK YOU!!! I have been searching for quite some time for a resolution to this issue and your 'shared' post WORKS and i am so so thankful that I found it! What a game changer :)

Thanks again!

patent

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2016

This is a great find! Thanks a lot for sharing it!

I never thought of looking there for a setting. Now that we got this covered, is there any way to default the connection to "iPhone" aka AirPlay? because right now i have to manually select it every time i walk in the car.

idoccurt

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2006
Does anyone know if this is possible?

Drives me nuts as I'm driving, the iPhone is paired to my car's built-in stereo, and if a call comes in, it interrupts the radio\xm\cd\usb, but when the following comes in it does not:

- turn by turn navigation via Apple maps
- text message tones
- email notifications

Is there even a way to make it interrupt so I know these come in? Kinda defeats the purpose of auto-pair if every time I get a text or email or turn notice I have to look down at the phone to know it came in.

Thanks as always!
I have a jeep and the BT doesn't sync well

vrOOOOm!

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2016
Cape Town, ZA
I have a jeep and the BT doesn't sync well

You DEFINITELY need this paid tweak:
Speak Notification
Awesome tweak. Dev does updates regularly. Highly rated on Reddit. Works flawlessly. I use for cycling too. Look no further than this tweak.... It does everything you require and more!! Guarenteed.

I use it in conjunction with:
Assistant+
Also highly rated on Reddit. Using the Siri command "start car mode" via Activator it activates all the notification apps I require active via Btooth. If your JB is 9.3.3 I suggest searching Reddit as to how you purchase/load the tweak

I also use this Notification tweak:
Vehicle Notifier Pro
I have an Audi which (as do all Audi's BT iPhone) only allows you to receive Message Notifications on the Audi MMI display. This tweak lets you receive anything: CNN, BBC, Skype, WhatsApp, Viber etc.

Last edited:

johninsf

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2008
San Francisco, CA, USA
It appears Apple has added the exact feature that the poster requested. Nav prompts now cut through other audio sources, like a phone call does. Although this article says it's on by default, it wasn't for me. The secret is that you have to pair with your car Bluetooth, start some driving directions, tap the audio button, and only then will you see the option for turning on HFP! My option was actually a switch that said something like "allow HFP" whereas the Ford in this example shows it as a menu of choices.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204242

Gare Moore

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2019
Does anyone know if this is possible?

Drives me nuts as I'm driving, the iPhone is paired to my car's built-in stereo, and if a call comes in, it interrupts the radio\xm\cd\usb, but when the following comes in it does not:

- turn by turn navigation via Apple maps
- text message tones
- email notifications

Is there even a way to make it interrupt so I know these come in? Kinda defeats the purpose of auto-pair if every time I get a text or email or turn notice I have to look down at the phone to know it came in.

Thanks as always!

Unfortunately Bluetooth audio doesn’t support this type of functionality.

However it’s possible for your car stereo system to support it, your car Bluetooth would need to support BLE & ANCS (Apple Notification Center service). The alerts would have to come from the vehicle end.

As far as navigation directions, I don’t know of any Bluetooth service that supports this. Sorry about that.

What vehicle do you have? Maybe I can figure out how to make alerts & navigation interrupt your audio sources.

Update: if you listen to audio from your iPhone via Bluetooth, you can use Voiceover to hear notifications, at the expense of not being able to use the normal controls for your iPhone. This would not be a problem for most people, as most car audio systems have buttons for commonly used functions.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.