Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Leon1das

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 26, 2020
Is anyone else annoyed how eSIM can easily be removed from the phone in 2 clicks?

I would love to have the option to protect eSIM removal by either Screen Time password or iPhone password or something else..

Each time I give the phone to my son without Guided Access on - I fear he would end erasing the eSIM and make my life complicated.

Anyone?

Leon1das

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 26, 2020
What happen when you enable SIM pin for an eSIM? Would that halt the deletion step?

Are you actually confirming that eSim PIN would protect against removal?

I havent went that far and try for the simple reason - if I do it, I practically cut myself out until I go to operator and ask for my replacement QR code.

It really feels annoying that I cant see any step to protect against eSIM removal

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia

I havent went that far and try for the simple reason - if I do it, I practically cut myself out until I go to operator and ask for my replacement QR code.

It really feels annoying that I cant see any step to protect against eSIM removal
Sorry, but I don’t know as I don’t have an iPhone with eSIM support. Hopefully someone else can confirm.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.

A SIM pin will not protect you from your kid deleting the eSIM. There is no way to hide the settings app from your son.

Zmmyt

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2005
could you set up ScreenTime for the time you kid uses your phone? this way you can lock him out of all sorts of things like settings.

edit: make sure you follow these instructions if you don’t want screentime enabled on all your devices which are logged in with your apple id.

Attachments

• 87448B22-C1BE-4597-BFA5-96A65E2AB034.jpeg
    87448B22-C1BE-4597-BFA5-96A65E2AB034.jpeg
    149.2 KB · Views: 179

Leon1das

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 26, 2020
could you set up ScreenTime for the time you kid uses your phone? this way you can lock him out of all sorts of things like settings.

edit: make sure you follow these instructions if you don’t want screentime enabled on all your devices which are logged in with your apple id.
So as mentioned I use Guided Access to lock him in one app he uses - without chance to leave it.

However given Screen Time possibilities to prevent many changes (incl. user account, disabling Siri or other apps) I would welcome there is a way to prevent eSIM removal as otherwise it can lead to a lot of headaches

Leon1das

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 26, 2020
A SIM pin will not protect you from your kid deleting the eSIM. There is no way to hide the settings app from your son.
You can prevent access to many sections of Settings app via Screen Time. For example locking account changes (which effectively bans access to iCloud changes, payment options etc), disabling CarPlay etc.

So adding eSIM to this configurable protection list would be great

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
or something else..
If you are OK with playing a corporate IT person, you can manage a lot of settings on iPhones using Apple Configurator (free in the Mac App Store) and a Mac. I started using Configurator when Apple began removing iOS tools from iTunes a few years back.

For eSIM management, here's the official word:
"Because eSIMs are software based, they afford much more deployment flexibility and are also easier to secure; administrators can trigger eSIM installation remotely and restrict a user’s ability to remove it from their device."

Reactions: Leon1das
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.