Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acousticbiker

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 28, 2008
When using CarPlay, I generally am using Google Maps and I prefer the split view where Google Maps is on the left half and the right half has a mix of music, podcast, calendar widgets depending on the context. I’m fine with how CarPlay handles the mix of right half widgets, but I don’t like how it automatically switches from the half/half layout to a full screen layout showing music only (and Google Maps directions show up as banner notifications at the bottom of the screen). Is there any way to prevent this automatic switching of the screen layout?

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I've never seen it "automatically" switch from Dashboard view (the view with the map on the left half of the screen and the right half split between map info/search, music and calendar) and full screen view EXCEPT when I receive an incoming phone call. You must be doing something to trigger it - changing audio source, etc.

I've been using CarPlay for about 5 years now, and typically use the Dashboard view with all of the mapping apps (Apple Maps, Google Maps and Waze).

acousticbiker

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 28, 2008
I've never seen it "automatically" switch from Dashboard view (the view with the map on the left half of the screen and the right half split between map info/search, music and calendar) and full screen view EXCEPT when I receive an incoming phone call. You must be doing something to trigger it - changing audio source, etc.

I've been using CarPlay for about 5 years now, and typically use the Dashboard view with all of the mapping apps (Apple Maps, Google Maps and Waze).
Hmm, ok, I haven't noticed any triggers but will be more aware of that - usually I just notice all of a sudden that it's in full screen view without any obvious triggers/pattern

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.