Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lraymond

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2012
Basically we have a web-app with some custom hardware. We found an exact replica of the product, even works with our app and vice-versa. I am looking at using an older jailbroke phone to try to decompile their app to compare, but wondering if there is any services that can pretty much do that exact thing and offer some analysis or certification?

Any thoughts or ideas on how to proceed are appreciated.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
Basically we have a web-app with some custom hardware. We found an exact replica of the product, even works with our app and vice-versa. I am looking at using an older jailbroke phone to try to decompile their app to compare, but wondering if there is any services that can pretty much do that exact thing and offer some analysis or certification?

Any thoughts or ideas on how to proceed are appreciated.

You're "trying to decompile an app.. on an iPhone" ??? That doesn't make sense.

You should find a developer consultant to help with this (not something that'll come cheap).

Like the other person said, you're asking a legal question, as well as asking for technical guidance when you don't understand how app development works.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Look at the AppStore.
There's like tons of apps that do the same thing and work or feel the same or accomplice the same task.
If the app is successful or popular good chances are many others will come up with a similar functioning app.
Not sure if you can do anything legally but you will need to contact a patent, trademark or software attorney for further details.

lraymond

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2012
XboxMySocks
You're asking a technology forum a legal question
No, I am asking a technology forum a question about decompiling software hence a technology question.

shenan1982
Like the other person said, you're asking a legal question, as well as asking for technical guidance when you don't understand how app development works.
I'm not asking to decompile ON the phone, simply what recommendations are there software wise to decompile the app such as Crackulous or Clutch and other ways, I was simply asking if people had experience and suggestions. Comments like "learn how app development works" are just not needed or appreciated so if you don't have something positive or helpful, or maybe you need to learn how courtesy and etiquette works. I didn't say anything about coming cheap as that is not a problem, just someone that has done this or would say try xyz.

Applejuiced
Thanks. It's a combination of a complete hardware theft (which we have patents on) down to some very specific things so we know things were infringed. My task was to see if we can decompile the app to see if there were some things that only we would know about that would show on their software as well.

I figured the "hacks" section would be the one to help, as I said it's not a legal question when you ask about decompiling an app, just technology talk.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Applejuiced
Thanks. It's a combination of a complete hardware theft (which we have patents on) down to some very specific things so we know things were infringed. My task was to see if we can decompile the app to see if there were some things that only we would know about that would show on their software as well.

I figured the "hacks" section would be the one to help, as I said it's not a legal question when you ask about decompiling an app, just technology talk.

Interesting.
So your app has also hardware included with it?
The app store apps are compiled only on mac computers.
So not really sure if you get the .ipa then use a mac to see if its possible to decompile it and get the source code.
Im not 100% on that or what you would need to use to do that.
And if you do find either hardware or software patent theft you would need to consult an attorney that is specific to these types of lawsuits.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

lraymond

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2012
Yep, basically the hardware plugs into the audio jack. The software is free but does nothing w/o the hardware. The hardware we took apart and every component is exact so we have that to start, and you can get the .ipa off cydia I believe, but they already have the attorney involved, etc.

I only wish they listened and stuck some easter eggs in the software to start as that would have really been perfect, but eh, thanks again for the reply :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.