Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shankar2

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 7, 2009
Hi so I have around 300 ebooks on my Ipad running latest Ipados 13.4.x.

There seems to be a bug in books app, in that if I upload an e-pub book via my Mac's (catalina) books app, the book gets into my Ipad via icloud but all the e-pub book's cover art is missing; there is a generic icon instead.

Is there any method to manually refresh the cover art of all the ebooks on my Ipad? I really don't want to re-upload all my books on my ipad.

This is a crazy bug imho. Books app is really slow in syncing etc. Thanks!

C0SM0

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2009
I have the same issue with the cover art. Unfortunately I haven’t found an actual solution.

I did figure out a workaround. Instead of copying the books using iBooks on your Mac, send the original ebook file to an iOS device using airdrop, email, etc. and open them using iBooks on the device. Once the books are copied over, they will be uploaded to iCloud and be available on your Mac with cover art intact.

It’s not a very elegant solution, and you can only import books into iBooks on iOS one at a time, but it seems to work.

umiak-pin-voltage-reap

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2020
Same issue for me. Thought I had it working with a toggle of Settings > Books > iCloud Drive, but the cover art was cached! ?

Hat tip to @C0SM0 > Batch import works from macOS, just select multiple files and send via AirDrop!

sjalfr

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2008
Thin air
And iOS 14 DP1 deleted all books' cover....if the books are not bought from Apple Book Store.

It was bad enough in 13! That seems even worse. Apple is more and more Orwellian. Checking every book and sucking the joy out of our pretty library. Time to find another reader.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.