Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

satchmo

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Looking to buy a used iPhone 11 Pro from a buddy. Great deal...but only caveat is the 4-5 mm scratch on the screen.

I've seen the toothpaste videos, but don't think it's effective in the long term. Is there any way this can be buffed down?
Replacing the screen is not an option given the cost to do so.

Screen Shot 2020-12-11 at 10.14.51 AM.png

satchmo

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Nope, but if you put on a privacy screen protector it won't be seen.

Doesn't that darken the screen greatly?

I was thinking about adding just a clear screen protector which may diminish it or prevent further damange.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Doesn't that darken the screen greatly?

I was thinking about adding just a clear screen protector which may diminish it or prevent further damange.
privacy screen protectors, when looked directly it's clear, it's only dark when it's being view sideway. Hence why it's called privacy screen protectors, especially when you don't want someone next to you looking at what you are doing on the phone.

Reactions: C. Robert

C. Robert

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2013
Baltimore
Can you share what privacy screen you're using? Thanks.

Reactions: satchmo

primarycolors

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2015
CA
This is just plain bad advice^

Privacy screen protectors do reduce the brightness, even when you're looking head-on. Even so, a privacy screen protector doesn't fix the problem of a scratch, which is between the adhesive and surface of the glass.

A screen protector can hide your scratch depending on how deep it is. Screen protectors help hide hairline scratches that are small enough to be smoothed by the screen protector's adhesive. But larger scratches that you can feel with your fingernail are just going to be made worse by a screen protector, since it won't be able to stick down and it'll bubble.

Unfortunately there are no real ways to get rid of the scratch itself (not even toothpaste, that's just one of those viral video scams). If it isn't too big a screen protector may hide it, or else you may just acclimate to it :)

C. Robert

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2013
Baltimore
This is just plain bad advice^

Privacy screen protectors do reduce the brightness, even when you're looking head-on. Even so, a privacy screen protector doesn't fix the problem of a scratch, which is between the adhesive and surface of the glass.

A screen protector can hide your scratch depending on how deep it is. Screen protectors help hide hairline scratches that are small enough to be smoothed by the screen protector's adhesive. But larger scratches that you can feel with your fingernail are just going to be made worse by a screen protector, since it won't be able to stick down and it'll bubble.

Unfortunately there are no real ways to get rid of the scratch itself (not even toothpaste, that's just one of those viral video scams). If it isn't too big a screen protector may hide it, or else you may just acclimate to it :)
Ive had the same type of scratch and it was hidden by a screen protector. I have on a privacy screen protector and head on its just as bright. It depends on the privacy screen you get. Here is a video of it hiding a scratch. Its not bad advice it real advice. You live in your world of trying to prove people wrong.

screen protector hiding scratch

Reactions: EM2013

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
A normal screen protector will cover a lot of that. Had to do that on my smart watch, deep scratch as well and when I put on a tempered glass protector it was barely noticeable

primarycolors

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2015
CA
Ive had the same type of scratch and it was hidden by a screen protector. I have on a privacy screen protector and head on its just as bright. It depends on the privacy screen you get. Here is a video of it hiding a scratch. Its not bad advice it real advice. You live in your world of trying to prove people wrong.

screen protector hiding scratch
I'm glad it worked for you dude! I don't care about proving people wrong I just want to make sure the original poster knows what to expect.

That video is a very different kind of screen protector, that uses clear liquid adhesive to apply the screen protector. That kind of screen protector can hide some scratches because the adhesive is a thick liquid and can penetrate some scratches. We were talking about regular screen protectors you just peel and stick.

d.best.5205622

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2014
Not the one I have, it does from extreme angles.

How much do you look at your screen at extreme angles? Must be hard on your eyes. You gotta be looking at extreme angles more than 50% if it annoys you that much. It would make me go cockeyed

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.