Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mjgunn

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Just got a new car, unfortunately unlike my last car this one does not separate the ringtone volume from the volume for when you're speaking on the phone. When I talk to someone on the phone I have to set the volume kind of high so I can comfortably hear the person. The next time my phone rings it rings at that high volume and almost blows my ear drums out. I instinctively reach out and turn the volume down as quickly as I can while answering the phone.......but then I turn it back up as soon as I start talking to the person, which of course causes the phone to ring extremely loud next time.

At this point my preferred option (other than getting Ford to separate the two volume controls like my old car did) would be to just stop the ringtone from playing at all when the phone rings. Is there any way to achieve this? I've tried automations to put the phone in silent mode when it connects to CarPlay/take it off when it disconnects, did not work. I also tried one to set the ringer volume to 0 when connecting to CarPlay, also no good. Is there any way to do this?

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Just got a new car, unfortunately unlike my last car this one does not separate the ringtone volume from the volume for when you're speaking on the phone. When I talk to someone on the phone I have to set the volume kind of high so I can comfortably hear the person. The next time my phone rings it rings at that high volume and almost blows my ear drums out. I instinctively reach out and turn the volume down as quickly as I can while answering the phone.......but then I turn it back up as soon as I start talking to the person, which of course causes the phone to ring extremely loud next time.

At this point my preferred option (other than getting Ford to separate the two volume controls like my old car did) would be to just stop the ringtone from playing at all when the phone rings. Is there any way to achieve this? I've tried automations to put the phone in silent mode when it connects to CarPlay/take it off when it disconnects, did not work. I also tried one to set the ringer volume to 0 when connecting to CarPlay, also no good. Is there any way to do this?

There are separate levels for audio (music/voice communication) and alets (Sir responses/ringtone/etc).

In order to adjust the prompt volume, you have to have Siri talking and while (s)he's talking, change the volume via the head unit controls. The easiest way is to ask Siri to tell you a joke, which will cause Siri to launch a longer announcement ... and adjust the volume while it's speaking.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.